Trying to run Snow Leopard as a guest on High Sierra host

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
PFBG

Trying to run Snow Leopard as a guest on High Sierra host

Post by PFBG »

Hello,
I'm trying to run Snow Leopard as a guest on an iMac running High Sierra. So for I wasn't able to install Snow Leopard on the Virtualbox VM. What can I be doing wrong?
  1. Using Disk Utility I created a cdr image from my Snow Leopard install pendrive.
  2. Copy the cdr image to the desktop of the hosting iMac.
  3. Installed VirtualBox on the hosting iMac.
  4. Opened VirtualBox and created a new OS X VM with default values.
  5. Changed the Video Memory settings of the VM from default to 128MB.
  6. Changed the boot order for the VM: Optical Disk and Internal HD.
  7. Select the cdr image on the desktop as my Optical Disk.
  8. Started the VM.
  9. A black screen (some sort of console) appears with some lines of text and that's it. Nothing happens after that.
I've attached the log of the operation. I hope someone can shed some light. My wife needs to access some old work files from a software that only works on Snow Leopard. Imagine my situation...

Thank you all,
Paulo
Attachments
MacSNOW-2018-10-09-10-14-16.log
(89.19 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Trying to run Snow Leopard as a guest on High Sierra host

Post by socratis »

PFBG wrote:My wife needs ... Imagine my situation...
Oy vey... Reminds me of "The Bonnie situation"... :D
PFBG wrote:1. Using Disk Utility I created a cdr image from my Snow Leopard install pendrive.
Pendrive? Where exactly did you get a perdrive from?
00:00:01.328763 Guest OS type: 'MacOS_64'
That's not the correct type actually, you should select the "Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (64-bit)" one...
00:00:01.433407 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:01.670785 CPUM: Physical host cores: 2
00:00:01.671397 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz"
I know you only have 2 cores in your i3 540 CPU, and we advise against using all of them for your VM, but it may worth a try to try with 2 CPUs as well, the OSX installer has been known to act weirdly in the past, depending on the number of CPUs available.

But, before you try with the 2 CPUs option, you should definitely try to change the CPU that your VM sees. Your "i3 540" may be too new of a CPU and it may not be supported by 10.6. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities") and with the VM completely shut down, issue the command:
  • 
    VBoxManage modifyvm "MacSNOW" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"

PS. I deleted your duplicate post from the "Mac Hosts" forum. According to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed. It's not good etiquette... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.