Virtual Box Guru Meditation Critical Error

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
asab

Virtual Box Guru Meditation Critical Error

Post by asab »

Hello,

I have been trying to launch my Minix Virtual Image on the VirtualBox, but I continually get the Guru Meditation critical error upon booting up.
I have attached the log file to help give a better indication of what the issue is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(59.56 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box Guru Meditation Critical Error

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806 linux.amd64 (Jun 15 2018 16:14:07) release log
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.
00:00:00.293321 ICH9 <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Please read the tooltip over the Chipset (hover over it for a second or two) and then change it back to the default PIIX3.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
asab

Post by asab »

I have Installed the official version of VirtualBox Now.
Please read the tooltip over the Chipset (hover over it for a second or two) and then change it back to the default PIIX3.
Sorry, I forgot to inform I am trying to install MacOS, the tooltip says ICH9 is required for MAC OS X. I have changed it to PIIX3, but still not working.

I am attaching the new log.

Thanks.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(59.61 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

asab wrote:I forgot to inform I am trying to install MacOS, the tooltip says ICH9 is required for MAC OS X
You know what else is actually required to run an OSX guest? Genuine Apple hardware! I should have noticed it from the first time...

OSX guests are only supported on Apple hardware (which you do not have). See: Important notice regarding Mac OS X as Guest.

Moving to "OSX Guests" from "Linux Hosts".

PS. Why does no one search these days? Is it actually faster to go through the Oracle registration process? Jeez... :roll:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.