High Sierra 10.13.6 guest slow on El Capitan 10.11.6

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Cubytus32

High Sierra 10.13.6 guest slow on El Capitan 10.11.6

Post by Cubytus32 »

High there,

following the instructions here and there, I managed to install a sorta-working 10.13.6 guest in Virtual Box 5.2.18.

The reason behind it is, even though I could install a 10.13 guest directly using the instructions provided, it couldn't update to 10.13.2, either through the App Store or using a manually-downloaded Combo update. Appeared to work, but after an extremely long boot, still reported 10.13 installed.

Now the 10.13.6, created from the full installer, does work, but feels very sluggish. Any window opens pretty slowly, even though the host or guest CPUs are not solicited that much.

I attached the High Sierra .vbox file.
macOS High Sierra.vbox.zip
Recipe for 10.13.6 guest
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Nor the CPU nor video RAM are properly detected:
About this Mac (Guest)
About this Mac (Guest)
VirtualBox_macOS High Sierra_26_08_2018_03_36_27.png (99.58 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
The High Sierra configuration was originally created by cloning a working Sierra guest, and modified for use with 10.13 (Recipe attached)
macOS Sierra.vbox.zip
Recipe for 10.12.6 guest
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
. Though the Sierra 10.12.6 guest is by no means fast, it definitely feels more responsive.

Does the guest really see only 3MB video RAM? Could this explain why it acts so slow?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: High Sierra 10.13.6 guest slow on El Capitan 10.11.6

Post by socratis »

<HardDisk uuid="{0be594c4-54d0-42df-8da1-bfed6b9d5d1c}" location="macOS Sierra clonar.vmdk" format="VMDK" type="Normal"/>
Why a VMDK? Why you didn't go with the VirtualBox suggest default VDI?
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" value="Iloveapple"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" value="iMac11,3"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" value="1.0"/>
[...]
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" value="1"/>
<CpuIdTree>
  <CpuIdLeaf id="1" eax="67301" ebx="1050624" ecx="10019837" edx="3219913727"/>
</CpuIdTree>
These are all from Hackintosh recipes. Please remove them by issuing the following commands, while the VM is completely shut down, not paused or saved:
  • 
    VBoxManage setextradata "macOS High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct"
    VBoxManage setextradata "macOS High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct"
    VBoxManage setextradata "macOS High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion"
    VBoxManage setextradata "macOS High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey"
    VBoxManage setextradata "macOS High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC"
    VBoxManage modifyvm "macOS High Sierra" --cpuidremoveall
BTW, if you cloned the VM from a 10.12 guest, you should also do the same for the 10.12 guest, just remember to change the VM name in the commands above ("macOS High Sierra"). And please don't go applying Hackintosh tactics when you don't need them...
<Controllers>
  <Controller name="OHCI" type="OHCI"/>
  <Controller name="EHCI" type="EHCI"/>
</Controllers>
You could enable the USB3 controller instead of the USB2.
<DeviceFilter name="Apple Inc. iPhone [0702]" active="true" vendorId="05ac" productId="12a8"
    revision="0702" manufacturer="Apple Inc." product="iPhone"
    serialNumber="700ba3c634777d8757b19de3a65bf07a345b4aed" remote="0"/>
You should remove the values in bold from your USB filter. For more info see: USB basics and troubleshooting » #4: USB Filters.
<SharedFolders>
  <SharedFolder name="Downloads" hostPath="/Users/cubytus/Downloads" writable="true" autoMount="true"/>
</SharedFolders>
There are no Shared Folders for OSX guests. You need the Guest Additions (GAs) for a guest OS in order to use the Shared Folders option. There are no GAs for an OSX guest. The Shared Folders entry is pretty much useless...

And then I opened the 10.12 .vbox file... That's a Hackintosh! :shock:

I'll need a VBox.log from the 10.12 and 10.13 VMs. ZIPPED. Otherwise the thread gets locked...
Last edited by klaus on 23. Feb 2024, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no secrets in posts, please
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.