Can't perform kext scan: no kext summary during MacOS X Sierra Installation

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
hps

Can't perform kext scan: no kext summary during MacOS X Sierra Installation

Post by hps »

I am trying to install MacOS X Sierra using the instructions under the YouTube title How to Install macOS Sierra (OS X 10.12) on PC using VirtualBox + Review Tutorial [HD].

I was successful following these instructions previously, but after updating VirtualBox to the most recent version (or possibly some other change) I am getting the error below after starting the VM for installation.

Code: Select all

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff801d7430d6: "zone_init: kmem_suballoc failed"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3789.1.3.2/osfmk/kern/zalloc.c:2149
Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address
can't perform kext scan: no kext summary
I have found a post which suggests to change the config.plist. Is that necessary and if so, how would I go about it in VirtualBox?
Last edited by hps on 8. Apr 2018, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Can't perform kext scan: no kext summary during MacOS X Sierra Installation

Post by andyp73 »

hps wrote:How to Install macOS Sierra (OS X 10.12) on PC using VirtualBox
This sort of implies that you are trying to install macOS onto non-Apple hardware. If that is the case then it is both unsupported and a violation of the Apple software license agreement. See: Important notice regarding Mac OS X as Guest

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
hps

Post by hps »

I am aware of the license agreement, I am not trying to install MacOS on non-Apple hardware. I have a Macbook Pro on which I am running Linux Mint. On Linux Mint, I have VirtualBox installed.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The instructions found on YouTube videos talk mostly about Hackintosh installations, hence the suggestion to change the config.plist. Don't. Do a normal installation as any other VM. Create a VM, select the installation medium and continue. If that doesn't work, then I'll need you to tell me the complete detailed procedure and most importantly the way that you obtained the OSX installation media.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.