[Solved] Installing El Capitan guest on El Cap host

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Installing El Capitan guest on El Cap host

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VirtualW
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Mac OS X, Windows, Debian

Post by VirtualW »

I ran into the same problem today when installing El Capitan guest on El Capitan host in VirtualBox 5.2.10.

The installation stalled at com.apple.ApplFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded

I didn't want to go back to VirtualBox 5.1, so I spent a while looking for an alternative answer.

The solution which worked was to change the USB Controller setting from "USB 2.0 (EHCI)" to "USB 1.1 (OHCI)".
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualW wrote:The solution which worked was to change the USB Controller setting from "USB 2.0 (EHCI)" to "USB 1.1 (OHCI)".
That's ... interesting. I never had this (or anyone else from the reports). I don't know how easy it would be for you to test another fresh installation with a throw-away VM, but, if you can, can you try with USB3 instead of USB1/2?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VirtualW

Post by VirtualW »

No, USB 3 also stalls at com.apple.ApplFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded.

My host (iMac 24-inch early 2008) only supports USB 2. Perhaps that would make a difference.

I switched the guest to USB 1 and the installation process started successfully.

The only other changes I made in the settings was to switch Chipset to PIIX3 and turn off Hardware Virtualization.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualW wrote:switch Chipset to PIIX3 and turn off Hardware Virtualization.
1) Why? 2) Why?
Please try with the defaults. That's the whole idea. Especially the ICH9 was pretty much created for OSX guests! And leave the HW Virtualization to default.
VirtualW

Post by VirtualW »

Yes, it seems to work with the defaults.

1) and 2) Because a long time ago those where the settings I needed to get VirtualBox to work. I then followed an "if it's not broken, don't fix it" philosophy.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualW wrote:Because a long time ago those where the settings I needed to get VirtualBox to work.
The only case that an OSX guest needed PIIX3 instead of ICH9, was if the guest was a Hackintosh. Nothing else would work... ;)

Glad it works now, finally [Solved] means [Solved] again in your case too.