Plans/Forecast when SMP will be introduced for OSX Guests

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Nap

Plans/Forecast when SMP will be introduced for OSX Guests

Post by Nap »

[Host: MacBook Pro 11,3 with Mac OS 10.13.2]

Just curious if someone can share some info as to when SMP will be implemented for OSX guests? Running on a single CPU is a bit sluggish, and no other modern guest OS has this limitation.

Whilst on the subject of what developments may come and when; the graphics issue is a problem on OSX as the mouse moves like a drunk snail and makes the machine very awkward to use. I get the feeling that graphic fill operations, i.e. window rendering, are being emulated using some scripting language. Are there any plans to get better performance? I don't have this issue with Linux guests, and since I'm running from an OSX host, these performance issues seem all the more inept.

And, to add more to the list, Guest Additions for OSX?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Plans/Forcaste when SMP will be introduced for OSX Guests

Post by socratis »

Nap wrote:Just curious if someone can share some info as to when SMP will be implemented for OSX guests?
It has been working for several versions now. See the (seriously outdated) "Status of OSX on OSX" thread. It started at around 4.3.0. That would be around 2013-10-15...
Nap wrote:the graphics issue is a problem on OSX as the mouse moves like a drunk snail and makes the machine very awkward to use.
I can't make a call based on that (subjective) information alone. I'll need a VBox.log of a complete run of the VM. ZIPPED please!
Nap wrote: I get the feeling that graphic fill operations, i.e. window rendering, are being emulated using some scripting language.
Not true.
Nap wrote:I don't have this issue with Linux guests
Maybe because you have installed the Guest Additions (GAs) which offer a better graphics performance? Remember, no GAs for OSX. Just like you pointed out... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Nap

Re: Plans/Forcaste when SMP will be introduced for OSX Guests

Post by Nap »

socratis wrote:
Nap wrote:Just curious if someone can share some info as to when SMP will be implemented for OSX guests?
It has been working for several versions now. See the (seriously outdated) "Status of OSX on OSX" thread. It started at around 4.3.0. That would be around 2013-10-15...
Thanks for the link. I've had a look, but there's a lot to digest. The main issue is the sluggish response of the mouse and screen rendering. I don't know if its a CPU of graphics issue.
One thing to note is that the command for changing the resolution of the OSX Guest is different to that shown on the page. Perhaps this is a VBox version issue or something to do with OSX host/guest. The new command is (as I'm sure you already know): VBoxManage setextradata "<VMName>" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution "<width>x<height>"
socratis wrote:
Nap wrote:the graphics issue is a problem on OSX as the mouse moves like a drunk snail and makes the machine very awkward to use.
I can't make a call based on that (subjective) information alone. I'll need a VBox.log of a complete run of the VM. ZIPPED please!
I have a few (3) logs in the Logs folder, any one of them or all? Or something else?
socratis wrote:
Nap wrote: I get the feeling that graphic fill operations, i.e. window rendering, are being emulated using some scripting language.
Not true.
Sorry, should have included a smiley :wink:
socratis wrote:
Nap wrote:I don't have this issue with Linux guests
Maybe because you have installed the Guest Additions (GAs) which offer a better graphics performance? Remember, no GAs for OSX. Just like you pointed out... ;)
What is the reason for there being none? Is it something Apple objects to?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Plans/Forecast when SMP will be introduced for OSX Guests

Post by socratis »

Nap wrote:One thing to note is that the command for changing the resolution of the OSX Guest is different to that shown on the page.
Yes, it changed with 5.2.0. But that thread was written way before that, when OSX support was not up to the level that it is right now. It's almost obsolete these days...
Nap wrote:I have a few (3) logs in the Logs folder, any one of them or all? Or something else?
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Nap wrote: What is the reason for there being none? Is it something Apple objects to?
The GAs for OSX are not there for two reasons; 1) not enough demand from paying customers, 2) not enough interest from people that could contribute the code.
Nap wrote:Is it something Apple objects to?
I wouldn't have the slightest idea, but I highly doubt it, since running an OSX guest requires an already existing Apple computer.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.