USB Device not usable after reboot of guest

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Ragnar666

USB Device not usable after reboot of guest

Post by Ragnar666 »

Hi Gents,

I got my USB smartcard running in the guest system (Windows 7) as described in FAQ / tutorials.

But when I reboot the guest the usb device is unavailable. When I try to connect the USB via VB statusbar I get the error message: "Failed to attach the USB device xxx to virtual machine yyy".

What helps is re-plugin the device. But that's annoying to do every time.

I tried with USB 1, USB 2 and USB 3 - nothing worked so far.

I there a way to tell the MAC to not attach the device to macOS and always keep it available to be used in the VM? I think that's the reason for this issue.

regard

host:
iMac Pro High Sierra
VB 5.2.4r119785 + extension pack

guest:
Win 7 32-bit + guest plugin + Intel USB 3 driver
Last edited by Ragnar666 on 31. Dec 2017, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB Device not usable after reboot of guest

Post by socratis »

Ragnar666 wrote:I there a way to tell the MAC to not attach the device to macOS and always keep it available to be used in the VM?
No. Only a filter will capture the device before it reaches another layer of software, but still the computer knows about the device.

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help.

PS. For future reference, "current version", "latest version", "previous version" don't (generally speaking) provide accurate information. In a couple of months the "current" will definitely be different. It's better if you use the complete version numbers (including the build numbers) to identify software.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ragnar666

Post by Ragnar666 »

Thanks for your reply. I've corrected the version.

Yes, I read the tutorial several times.

There are 4 device categories:

Currently it seems that my device belongs to the category "un-ejactable": "You have to unplug them and use a USB filter. The on-the-fly option doesn't work, simply because you cannot release them from your host."

But maybe there's a way to eject the device in MacOS: "You have to eject them first to be able to use them with the on-the-fly option." It's much easier to issue a command to eject the device than to physically unplug and replug the device.

Any idea?

@socrates: sorry.. I've chosen the wrong forum. It belongs to macOS Hosts not macOS Guest. Could you please correct this?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

That's it I'm afraid. You could use that with a hard disk (probably). You can't use this trick with a smart card. Otherwise, it would have been in the FAQ.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.