[HowTo] Install OSX 10.13 in a VM

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
ZachyDaddy

Re: [HowTo] Install OSX 10.13 in a VM

Post by ZachyDaddy »

I went through all of the steps successfully, after second setup and installation (through the boot maintenance manager I go through the menu to select "boot.efi" I get through all the steps loading in terminal.) The apple logo and progress bar load. The "Install macOS" screen pops up, then it goes away and I get a round picture of "high Sierra" and the following message:
macOS could not be installed on your computer
An error occurred while loading the installer resources.
Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.
I've tried this multiple times. Any insights?!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ZachyDaddy wrote:macOS could not be installed on your computer
What's your computer? You're a little bit light on the details...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ZachyDaddy

Post by ZachyDaddy »

The message is inside my VM so the computer referred to in the error prompt is my virtual machine. My host machine though is a 2018 Mac Mini 6 core i7 32gb ram.

My VM has 40gb dynamic storage. 8gb ram. 4 processor cores assigned. I believe the video card has the full amount assigned which is 128mb or whatever the default card on my mini is. I don’t have it in front of me so I can’t say for sure.

My account is less than a day old so I can’t post links or anything yet.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@ZachyDaddy
We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ZachyDaddy

Post by ZachyDaddy »

I uploaded 2 different VM's that have slightly different settings but the same results. Thanks!

HighSierra VM-2019-05-23-18-10-46.log.zip
(33.49 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
HS VM-2019-05-23-08-30-29.log.zip
(33.88 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Instead of two logs, I would have preferred the <VM>.vbox file for either of the VMs. But we can have both. Can you do that? Grab the .vbox file for each VM and ZIP them. You can find them by right-clicking on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show in Finder".
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@ZachyDaddy
Here's a thing I discovered from the logs; you're using USB2 for your VM. USB3 became a requirement at some point. I have a ticket open since 10.12.4 came out (ticket #16644), where I discovered that USB3 *is* a requirement, otherwise the installation wouldn't proceed. Can you try with USB3 enabled?

And max out the VRAM to 128 MB from the current 16 MB.
ZachyDaddy

Post by ZachyDaddy »

I tried USB3 on both VMs and no bones. I've included one of the VM's here. at this point they're identical. Maybe I messed up when I created the High Sierra ISO? I have no idea.
HighSierra VM.vbox.zip
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 137 times

Thanks!
pazzoide

Post by pazzoide »

Just installed OSX Catalina in Virtualbox 6.1.4 r136177. No need to use EFI menu anymore.
Stuff

Post by Stuff »

Trying and getting message "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." using 6.1.4

I don't see an option for USB3. What am I missing?
Attachments
MacOS High Sierra.vbox.zip
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
esalvesen
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Different

Post by esalvesen »

[quoteI don't see an option for USB3[/quote]

Do you have installed the extensions?

Erik
notaterminal

Post by notaterminal »

I dont have a Recovery Partition only MacOS HFS+ system prnt.sc/s152rr
esalvesen
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Different

Post by esalvesen »

I mean the extension pack

Erik
Pinokkio

Post by Pinokkio »

I didn't have the option USB controller 3.0 , so I was stuck with the one and only choice of a USB controller 1.1 ( can this have something to do with a previous installed XP with guest editions ? ) How can I get a USB 3.0 controller ?
Anyway I started the VM and at the and I have a stop sign ( barred circle ) and the message : Still waiting for root device .
My optical is a .cdr made from a USB installer stick .
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Install the VirtualBox Extension Pack on the host to enable support for USB2/USB3 in all guests, provided the guest itself supports it (e.g. Windows 7 and earlier have no native support for USB3).

This topic has started to drift off topic, so I'm going to lock it.