High Sierra Guest Will Not Finish Install

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
jasonrw

High Sierra Guest Will Not Finish Install

Post by jasonrw »

Hi,

I'm trying to install Apple's latest disaster OS on a VM, which is itself running on macOS 10.13.1 (MacMini7,1). I cannot get the install to finish. It boots to a UEFI terminal and I have no idea what it wants. UNIX/BSD commands are not working here. I followed this guide for installing macOS, changing options where necessary.

www-howtogeek-com/289594/how-to-install-macos-sierra-in-virtualbox-on-windows-10/

I am using Apple hardware for the host, not Windows 10 as the article suggests. I'd post a screenshot by the site will not let me.

How can I fix this?

Thanks
Attachments
macmini71_virtualbox_02.png
macmini71_virtualbox_02.png (89.71 KiB) Viewed 10735 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: High Sierra Guest Will Not Finish Install

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
jasonrw

Post by jasonrw »

There were three. See attached.

Thank you very much for looking into this.
Attachments
vbox.zip
(110.88 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Your picture is not that legible (too small), but it seems that the ISO you've made is not bootable. VirtualBox and OSX 10.13 don't really go that well and that's because Apple changed the way that its installers access the EFI. Since there's almost zero interest from paying customers, there is not that much "urge" to get it fixed. And usually "Please fix this now!" does not change the situation.

A solution would be if you had a 10.12 VM and upgraded that. That works just fine. That's how I was forced to do it, and still that was a pain...

BTW, next time please note:
jasonrw wrote:There were three.
compared to the instructions:
mpack wrote:save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jasonrw

Post by jasonrw »

Wasn't sure which log was needed, or if there was a new log written each time. I'll go the 10.12 route. 10.13 itself, is not essential, just thought I'd test w/the latest. The 10.13 ISO I made did boot, after I told the VM how, and it did the install. I'm at the point of reboot after macOS installs to the HDD after 25-30 minutes. Pre-first run.

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jasonrw wrote:The 10.13 ISO I made did boot, after I told the VM how
Well? What did you tell it? Please share... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, you're telling me that you failed to install it when you followed tutorial "X", but then you fixed it by following tutorial "X"? :lol:

Besides the joke, I believe it must have been Step 6, the getting the proper "boot.efi" to boot the installer. Right? Oh, and BTW, you don't need to follow Step 4 at all; you have a Mac, you don't need to fake one.
jasonrw

Post by jasonrw »

As with any tutorial YMMV, I did skip the faking out of the Mac part. I did try to re-introduce boot.efi after the install rebooted.
dbourne
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: macOS High Sierra

Post by dbourne »

jasonrw wrote:As with any tutorial YMMV, I did skip the faking out of the Mac part. I did try to re-introduce boot.efi after the install rebooted.
I've made some progress using the howtogeek page.

For step four I entered

cd /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS
vBoxManage modifyvm "HighSierra" --cpuid-set 00000001 000306a9 04100800 7fbae3ff bfebfbff
vBoxManage setextradata "HighSierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "MacBookPro11,3"
VBoxManage setextradata "HighSierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "HighSierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663"
[...]
VBoxManage setextradata "HighSierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1

with no feedback as described. However, when I started up VirtualBox and started the HighSierra guest all I have is a black screen.
I'm running this on an iMac but I assume the MacBookPro11,3 is for the guest machine. I've tried it again with "iMac18,3" instead of "MacBookPro11,3"
Last edited by klaus on 23. Feb 2024, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no secrets in posts, please
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Following tutorials for Hackintosh have to be adjusted, not followed blindly ;)
dbourne wrote:cd /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS
You do not need that in order to use the "VBoxManage" command if you're on OSX, or Linux, or Solaris (basically anything but Windows). The "VBoxManage" command is actually also located in "/usr/local/bin/VBoxManage", which is in the path, which means that you can use it from anywhere. Give it a shot...
dbourne wrote:vBoxManage modifyvm "HighSierra" --cpuid-set 00000001 000306a9 04100800 7fbae3ff bfebfbff
vBoxManage setextradata "HighSierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "MacBookPro11,3"
VBoxManage setextradata "HighSierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "HighSierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663"
[...]
VBoxManage setextradata "HighSierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
dbourne wrote:I'm running this on an iMac
Once again, if you're on a Mac, you do not need to modify these keys. It has absolutely no affect on your ability to boot a 10.13 VM. You may be doing more harm than good. Especially with the CPU ID one.

I will make a tutorial on how to install 10.13 properly on a VM and I'll update the post later today.
Last edited by klaus on 23. Feb 2024, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no secrets in posts, please
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, the tutorial is up for your viewing pleasure: [HowTo] Install OSX 10.13 in a VM. Please let me know how it went...
dbourne
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: macOS High Sierra

Post by dbourne »

"I will make a tutorial on how to install 10.13 properly on a VM and I'll update the post later today."

socratis, that would be great. Thank you. db
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Did you read the post right above yours? Be honest... you didn't, did you? ;)
Nap

Post by Nap »

Maybe late to the party, but I just used the guide published by Tobias Washere and was able to setup a guest running 10.13.2 which I have already updated via the App Store. The tutorial is at: virtualbox-how-to-create-a-macos-high-sierra-vm-to-run-on-a-mac-host-system
The only important thing he does not cover is the selection of the network adapter. You should choose the Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM) card. If OSX does not recognise the NIC, the setup wizard will force you into a no network configuration. From what I've found, changing the NIC in VirtualBox, say after you complete the installation, will cause the VM to go into Mac OS installation mode on the next boot.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Nap wrote:The only important thing he does not cover is the selection of the network adapter. You should choose the Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM) card.
Why would he include that? It's the default for an OSX guest...

PS. BTW, I've included Tobi's tutorial in the "[HowTo] Install OSX 10.13 in a VM" tutorial, I unfortunately discovered it too late...