Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Boot Issues

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Boot Issues

Postby Keir » 5. Nov 2017, 06:21

Hello!

I've been trying to get Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger installed as a VM.
I have managed this in VirtualBox before (a long time ago) but haven't had any success in my recent attempts.

I set the VM up (host system is a Mac), selecting Mac OS X (32-Bit) and I'm using an image of an Intel Tiger DVD but I keep getting the UEFI Interactive Shell appearing when it tries to boot.
I've tried tweaking the configuration but haven't managed to get past this issue yet.

I'm mainly wondering whether this is a problem with the DVD Image or the configuration? If it's the configuration then I can probably figure it out with trial and error but it would save me some time if someone could tell me whether the issue is the Image or the config.

If any more information is required then please let me know!

Thanks!

Keir
Keir

Re: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Boot Issues

Postby mpack » 5. Nov 2017, 10:59

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
mpack
Site Moderator

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Boot Issues

Postby michaln » 7. Nov 2017, 16:43

Keir wrote:I've been trying to get Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger installed as a VM.

Tiger 10.4 (i.e. 10.4.0) won't work on x86 at all, so you're trying some other version. Which version is it? Because they're all different. Is it a generic OS X installer or did it come with a Mac?

Can you see any files on the disc from within the EFI shell? (/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi is the interesting one).

Is the disc/image a known good one? I have seen badly imaged OS X install media which do not boot because the partition table (for example) is missing.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Return to Mac OS X Guests