Problem with iso image created from mac dvd to use in virtualbox

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
ShaJos45

Problem with iso image created from mac dvd to use in virtualbox

Post by ShaJos45 »

Hi,
I have purchased a SnowLeopard 10.6 OS dvd from apple . I have installed virtualbox in my windows 2008 server. Then i create an iso image of the apple dvd via ImageBurn Software . And i tried this new iso image to load in virtual box .
But when i start virtual machine it shows the error message "No bootable medium found ! System halted " . My host OS is windows server 2008 R2 standard and Processor is Intel(R)Xeon(R) E5520 @2.27GHz 2.26 GHz

Does anyone guess what might be the issue .
How can I use my newly purchased dvd in my virtualbox .
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem with iso image created from mac dvd to use in virtualbox

Post by socratis »

ShaJos45 wrote:How can I use my newly purchased dvd in my virtualbox.
Unfortunately you can't. You did the honest thing of actually buying a genuine OSX DVD, but I'm afraid that OSX installs are only supported (officially) on Apple hardware. See: Important notice regarding Mac OS X as Guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

ShaJos45 wrote: I have installed virtualbox in my windows 2008 server.
It doesn't matter who you bought it from or what you paid for it. OS X is only licensed for use on Apple hardware. If it isn't used on Apple hardware then you are not licensed, and therefore are infringing copyright.

FAQ: Mac OS X Guest on a Windows Host.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:If it isn't used on Apple hardware then you are not licensed, and therefore are infringing copyright.
Well, I believe that both technically and legally, if the OP didn't install it (they can't), they're not infringing anything... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Attempted copyright infringment then. :)
Sideshow Bob wrote: I am presently incarcerated, imprisoned for a crime I did not even commit. "Attempted murder". Now honestly, did they ever give anyone a Nobel prize for "attempted chemistry?"