2 problems connecting USB devices in a mac OS X v10.11.6 El Capitan guest

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
ant
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows and macOSes

2 problems connecting USB devices in a mac OS X v10.11.6 El Capitan guest

Post by ant »

Hello.

I just tried to connect a couple old USB devices in an updated mac OS X v10.11.6 El Capitan guest VM, but somehow they failed.

1. iPhone 4S (iOS v9.3.5) freezes the VM (even disconnecting it VB's status bar doesn't help). iPhone did vibrate to tell me it connected for its power. No prompt to trust though. Attached its log.

2. Connecting a very old 64 MB USB flash drive doesn't let me connect with its status bar due to its greyed out option. However, I found out I needed to unmount (not eject) the mounted drive in host's Disk Utility app. And then, the greyed out option went away. Is this normal and by design? VMware Fusion didn't require that. :/

Both devices connected and working in the host 2012 MacBook Pro just fine. I was hoping to do some clean testings in VMs. :/

Thank you in advance. :)
Attachments
iPhone4Slog.txt
VB's log with iPhone 4S.
(93.79 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 2 problems connecting USB devices in a mac OS X v10.11.6 El Capitan guest

Post by socratis »

Please read the following: USB basics and troubleshooting.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ant
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows and macOSes

Re: 2 problems connecting USB devices in a mac OS X v10.11.6 El Capitan guest

Post by ant »

Thanks. OK, so ejecting USB flash drive in host is the way to go to connect in guest VM. OK, cool. Different from VMware Fusion's behavior even though it is automated.

I will have to mess with it deeply for iPhone 4S part (not now). Do I assume connecting iDevices does connect in Mac OS guest VMs for other users?
Last edited by socratis on 2. May 2017, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.