No need to install guest additions in Mac OS guests?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
ant
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows and macOSes

No need to install guest additions in Mac OS guests?

Post by ant »

Am I reading correctly that Mac OS guests (e.g., v10.11.6 El Capitan) in Mac OS (e.g., Sierra v10.12.4) do not need guest additionals?

Thank you in advance. :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: No need to install guest additions in Mac OS guests?

Post by mpack »

No, you are not reading it correctly.

GAs are not installed in an OS X guest because OS X GAs do not exist.
ant
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows and macOSes

Post by ant »

mpack wrote:No, you are not reading it correctly.

GAs are not installed in an OS X guest because OS X GAs do not exist.
Ah. Is there a reason why they don't exist? Are they not needed to be made like in other OSes?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

ant wrote:Ah. Is there a reason why they don't exist? Are they not needed to be made like in other OSes?
I guess when enough paying customers ask for it, it will be done. Mainly however those paying customers seem to be more interested in using Windows or Linux guests.

Also, the Apple policy of limiting legal OS X use to Apple hardware no doubt also limits the market interest in OS X GAs.
Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

I was just about to post a question on this. My VM keeps popping up a message that I need to update the guest additions. It seems to think they are installed since it gives me a version number. However, when I go to the devices menu (as the popup tells me to) there is no install option.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Steve B. wrote:My VM keeps popping up a message that I need to update the guest additions.
No way as of today, as of this side of the universe. Your VM is not an OSX Guest. You are on an OSX host according to your other post. This discussion is for OSX Guest systems. You have a different problem, please open a new thread.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

socratis wrote:No way as of today, as of this side of the universe. Your VM is not an OSX Guest.
I'm running 3 guests on two OS X hosts, 2 on a Windows 8 host, and and 1 on a CentOS 7 host. The message pops up on the OS X and Windows guests consistently .
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

As I said, there's no way as of today, on this (or the other) side of the universe that you get this message from an OSX guest. Please read my words again. On an OSX host, yes. This is the OSX Guests forum and the topic is "additions for OSX guests".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
IOOI
Guest OSses: OPENSTEP, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Windows

Post by IOOI »

Steve B. wrote:I was just about to post a question on this. My VM keeps popping up a message that I need to update the guest additions. It seems to think they are installed since it gives me a version number. However, when I go to the devices menu (as the popup tells me to) there is no install option.
In the "devices" menu there is an "Insert Guest Additions CD image …" menu item. Selecting this will start the installation of the guest additions for your guest, which is not macOS.
vvhorus

Post by vvhorus »

Steve B. wrote:I was just about to post a question on this. My VM keeps popping up a message that I need to update the guest additions. It seems to think they are installed since it gives me a version number. However, when I go to the devices menu (as the popup tells me to) there is no install option.
What you are most likely seeing is a message from VirtualBox asking you to update the Guest Additions ISO image. But in that image there is no Guest Additions installer for OS X since it does not exist...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Not possible. VirtualBox on the host does not ask you to update the GAs ISO (why would it? there is no separate download for the GAs, it's part of the standard bundle), and as mentioned several times already: there are no GAs in an OS X guest to do an update check and give you that prompt.