Problem Installing El Capitan Guest on Sierra host

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
JRCS

Problem Installing El Capitan Guest on Sierra host

Post by JRCS »

I have successfully created an ISO image (El Capitan) using the script provided in this forum. I then created a MacOS X Virtual Machine and ran the Installer (having first used the installer's Disk Utility to format a drive for the OS X install).

Everything ran through as expected, and I successfully booted up the El Capitan VM, created an account, and logged in. However.......

I now find that once I get to the desktop on the OSX VM any movement of the trackpad seems to cause me to be taken back to the login screen again. It looks like it's a mouse/trackpad issue but I can not be sure about that. Whatever the problem is makes the VM unusable since any attempt to open a window, launch an App, or open System Preferences results in a return to the login screen.

VirtualBox is running on a MacBook Pro 13" Retina Display 500GB HD 8GB RAM (MacOS 10.12.4) I am successfully running Windows 10 and Ubuntu VMs - not simultaneously. VirtualBox and MacOS are fully updated.

Has anyone got any ideas about what I'm doing wrong, or what I'm missing here?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem Installing El Capitan Guest on Sierra host

Post by socratis »

• Do you have any USB filters set?
• What's the setting in VM settings » System » Pointing Device?
• Have you tried a mouse instead of the trackpad?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JRCS

Re: Problem Installing El Capitan Guest on Sierra host

Post by JRCS »

• Do you have any USB filters set?
No USB filters set.

• What's the setting in VM settings » System » Pointing Device?
Pointing device currently set to "USB Tablet" but have previously tried "USB Multi-touch Tablet" but get the same behaviour (thrown back to login screen after any click or attempts to launch anything).

• Have you tried a mouse instead of the trackpad?
Have not tried with a mouse yet and will do so and report back.