FCP runs on Mac Host but not Mac Guest (Quartz Extreme)

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
mark.wyllie

FCP runs on Mac Host but not Mac Guest (Quartz Extreme)

Post by mark.wyllie »

Can anyone shed any light on how I can get Final Cut Pro (FCP) running on a MacOS 10.5.8 Guest in a MacOS 10.10.5 Host using VirtualBox 4.3.6? The application (FCP) runs perfectly on the same hardware (MacBook Pro) if booted up natively in MacOS 10.5.8 but it will not run on the Guest VM although the same versions and installs are used. Upon launching FCP on the Guest VM, the following errors are presented (see attached):

Final Cut Pro requires that you system have a Quartz Extreme capable video card.

Final Cut Pro recommends that you system have 64 MB VRAM - this system has only 0 MB of VRAM.

I’ve read elsewhere that Guest Additions are required for 2D/3D graphics Acceleration but do not exist for MacOS on VB 4.3.6. Can anyone confirm?

NOTE: Before anyone suggests I run FCP on the Host (MacBook Pro), I need FCP to run on a Guest VM in a different Mac Host which cannot boot into MacOS 10.5.8
Attachments
FCB launch error.jpg
FCB launch error.jpg (37.14 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Re: FCP runs on Mac Host but not Mac Guest (Quartz Extreme)

Post by erdeslawe »

The 'error message' gives you the answer. The Virtual Machine can only use a virtual graphics card, which doesn't meet the software's requirements.
mark.wyllie

Post by mark.wyllie »

So can this be resolved? e.g. Guest Additions with a virtual graphics card that the software (FCP) supports or is this a lost cause?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It's a lost cause. OS X guests have no GAs, so only have basic graphics emulations. Short of writing your own OS X GAs, or paying the devs several barrowloads of cash to write them, nothing can be done.
mark.wyllie

Post by mark.wyllie »

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Even if you were to write the GAs, you'd still be presented with a virtual graphics card. No clue whether or not the Quartz Extreme capabilities would be passed down on the guest. Chances are no.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.