Init Boot gIOScreenLockState 3 when trying to install Sierra guest on Sierra host

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Init Boot gIOScreenLockState 3 when trying to install Sierra guest on Sierra host

Post by socratis »

fdiv wrote:If you disable the paravirtualization interface by setting it to None, 10.12.5 launches as expected
Can you provide a log of a successful boot from a session like that, as well as the ".vbox" file (right-click on the VM, Show in Finder) ?

ZIP them both first.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
IOOI
Guest OSses: OPENSTEP, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Windows

Re: Init Boot gIOScreenLockState 3 when trying to install Sierra guest on Sierra host

Post by IOOI »

fdiv wrote:Stumbled upon a less than ideal work around while trying to solve the problem. - If you disable the paravirtualization interface by setting it to None, 10.12.5 launches as expected (if not quite a bit slower than usual.) Hope it helps.

EDIT for more info:
3D Acceleration is on, and the SATA VDI drive is set as a solid state. Not sure how or why it helps, but it gets the VM running.
When I set paravirtualization to none I get a screen saying "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform! Reason: VirtualBox" (see attachment)

All other paravirtualization-settings end in " … gIOScreenLockState …" only once it got a little step further (see second attachment)
Attachments
VBox.log
(119.45 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-13 um 00.36.33.jpg (121.18 KiB) Viewed 7639 times
Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-12 um 23.20.16.png (50.89 KiB) Viewed 7639 times
Last edited by IOOI on 13. Jun 2017, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@IOOI
That's what I was getting as well, that's why I asked 'fdiv' for a VBox.log and a .vbox of the VM. Something wasn't right. Could have been a Hackintosh for all I know...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
IOOI

Post by IOOI »

So there can't anything been done about this? Does the programmers team know about this? What do they say?
Last edited by socratis on 13. Jun 2017, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

They say nothing. Almost never. If there was an update, that would be on ticket #16644. Subscribe to it. Given the fact that there's not even a template for 10.12.x, I don't think it's high in their priorities. Not enough paying customers I guess.
justechn

Post by justechn »

fdiv wrote:Stumbled upon a less than ideal work around while trying to solve the problem. - If you disable the paravirtualization interface by setting it to None, 10.12.5 launches as expected (if not quite a bit slower than usual.) Hope it helps.
I did this and I don't get the gIOScreenLockState 3 error, but now I am getting

"This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform. Reason VirtualBox"

I am on a iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) running Sierra 10.12.4 and virtualbox 5.1.22 r115126
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@justechn
This is what you should get if you are a legit Mac user. I'm not sure when Apple started putting this in their installers, but I'm really happy that they did. That shows that they noticed... ;)
IOOI

Post by IOOI »

socratis wrote:@justechn
I'm not sure when Apple started putting this in their installers
So this message's origin is not VirtualBox but the installer?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I have not seen it anywhere else. All OSX clients from 10.7 onward have this error during boot if the paravirtualization is set to None. It could very well be buried somewhere deep in the VirtualBox code (in the EFI binaries? Assembly?) but I haven't seen it in the VirtualBox code.
IOOI

Post by IOOI »

@Socratis, you are right. I googled that message and it appears that especially hackintosh users report it (with other strings than "VirtualBox" as reason).
SvenVD

Post by SvenVD »

Is there any update of this?
RuShked

Post by RuShked »

SvenVD wrote:Is there any update of this?
try this script, just change NAME OF VM

[ModEdit: Hackintosh script removed, post locked, any further discussion about hacked OSX guests will result in post-deletion and user-banning. You have been warned.]