NEED HELP PORTABLE VB NOT WORKING!

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
billyu

NEED HELP PORTABLE VB NOT WORKING!

Post by billyu »

I am currently running mac osx yosemite 10.10 i want to install virtual box onto my usb thumb stick witch is 125gb so more than enough room but when i go to choose a different location for the install it only gives me the option for install for "all users of this computer". I cant find any answers why please help!!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: NEED HELP PORTABLE VB NOT WORKING!

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox needs to install device drivers. It can't be installed on a USB stick. The amount of room available is not an issue, at least not until you get to the stage of creating data (VMs).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NEED HELP PORTABLE VB NOT WORKING!

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox on an OSX installation cannot be installed anywhere else except "/Applications/VirtualBox". Nowhere else.

This is due to the hardening security that has been implemented to avoid tampering with VirtualBox. It is hardcoded and cannot be changed. You can't even move it after installation, or even rename it. It will fail to launch.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.