Sierra guest on Sierra host: "still waiting for root device"

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Sohle

Sierra guest on Sierra host: "still waiting for root device"

Post by Sohle »

Hello,

I need some help by installing macOS Sierra in VirtualBox.

System Host: Macbook Pro (Late 2016); i7 2,9, Intel HD 530, Radeon Pro 460, 16GB, Sierra 10.12.3, VirtualBox 5.1.14

That's what I tried to install Sierra in VirtualBox:
1. Create a bootable USB-Stick.
2. Put the content of the USB-Stick into a .dmg-file to load it as a medium/dvd with VirtualBox.
3. Create a VDI-file and set the options to Mac OS X (10.11 El Captain 64bit)
4. When I start the VM it boots and after loading/checking some device I get the error "still waiting for root device"

Here is a screen of the error. Also a problem is the graphical fault in the VM:
VirtualBox_macOS Sierra_14_02_2017_22_40_21.png
VirtualBox_macOS Sierra_14_02_2017_22_40_21.png (27.42 KiB) Viewed 5199 times
I tried to google and tried some ideas but nothing helps. Little bit confusing...

It would be nice if someone a an idea what I can do to get the VM start with Sierra.
Thank's!

Sohle
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Sierra guest on Sierra host: "still waiting for root device"

Post by socratis »

With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save the "VBox.log" (just the first one), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).

I'd also like to know how you created the USB and how you put the contents in a bootable DMG. Most certainly that's where the problem is, but I'd have to look at the log as well to know.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sohle

Post by Sohle »

Hi @socratis,

thanks for giving me a reply. I have attached the log as zip-file.

To create the dmg-file I followed these instructions by apple (you can find the instructions with google "apple HT201372"; sry but I can't post the link because I'm a new user). I used terminal with that commands adapted to my path.

Code: Select all

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app
After that I used the disk utility: click on the usb-stick and choose File > New Image > Image of usb-stick. So I got my dmg-file which I loaded into VM.

Hope my informations will help to find an answer...

Sohle
Attachments
macOS Sierra-2017-02-15-14-12-52.log.zip
(28.46 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

Sohle wrote:To create the dmg-file I followed these instructions by apple (you can find the instructions with google "apple HT201372"; sry but I can't post the link because I'm a new user). I used terminal with that commands adapted to my path.

Code: Select all

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app
After that I used the disk utility: click on the usb-stick and choose File > New Image > Image of usb-stick. So I got my dmg-file which I loaded into VM.
As you noticed, does not work.
Rather than creating a .dmg file, you need to copy the USB stick image onto/into a virtual HDD, a .vdi, file.

Much easier to accomplish: [Howto] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app, by socratis.
Sohle

Post by Sohle »

I made a new image file with instruction at the link posted from @ChipMcK. It works now. Thank you guys for helping and thanks @socratis for spending time for making that instructions...

You can close the topic.

Sohle
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

I think socratis will be pleased with your compliment.

When he has the time, he should be posting it in section Howtos and Tutorials
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ChipMcK wrote:When he has the time, he should be posting it in section Howtos and Tutorials
I would like to have a couple of things done to the scripts, mainly unify them. Then, I will. Now it's sort of alpha testing. As far as I know Sohle was the first one to try it (at least publicly). Thanks ChipMcK.
Sohle, glad I could help.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.