Snow Leopard guest on Sierra host Kernel Error

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
ilcoso

Snow Leopard guest on Sierra host Kernel Error

Post by ilcoso »

Hi All,

I've recently downloaded virtualbox 5.1.14 and installed it on a MacBook Pro mid2015 with Mac OS Sierra pre-installed.

I am trying to install snow leopard as a guest OS, after creating a .dmg image from the original snow leopard installation DVD I had bought for on older MacBook (mid or end 2007, I don't recall it exactly). I created the image from the disk utility of such MacBook, which currently runs snow leopard.

I created the VM, and when I run it I get an error and the installation halts.
It says:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2a6ac2): Kernel trap at 0x00294e88, type 14=page fault, registers:
Here the registers...
Error Code: 0x00000000
etc..

I tried to find something similar in this forum and in the web more in general, but I wasn't able to find (or understanding) something that might be useful

Any idea?
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(25.02 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: Snow Leopard guest on Sierra host Kernel Error

Post by ChipMcK »

most likely you need the following, required for newer Intel chips

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyvm <vmname> --cpuidset 00000001 000006fb 00000800 80000209 078bfbff
Refer to Status of OSX on OSX
ilcoso

Post by ilcoso »

HI,

thanks for the answer.

That is what I tried in the meanwhile, but I still got the same error.

I''ve also tried different combinations of settings (like 32 and 64 bits), but without any result.
ilcoso

Post by ilcoso »

Hi All,

a small update.

I tried to run the virtual machine on Virtualbox 4.3, which seems to work here. However, this version of Virtualbox crashes on Sierra.

Also, I read in the forum that renaming/deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext may resolve kernel's problems. I tried to do that on the host, but it didn't work. Should this be done on the guest?

I should be able to post the link with the screenshot of the error now:
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ilcoso wrote:I tried to do that on the host, but it didn't work. Should this be done on the guest?
No, no, no!

That kext is supposed to be removed from the guest. If you have any problems with the guest, which hasn't been happening for quite a few versions of VirtualBox.

Take a look at rpmurray's post from: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=80993#p381176
Setting the CPU profile is preferred to setting the CPUidset in my humble opinion...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ilcoso

Post by ilcoso »

Hi,
I am a totally newbie, as you might have guessed.
socratis wrote:No, no, no!

That kext is supposed to be removed from the guest. If you have any problems with the guest, which hasn't been happening for quite a few versions of VirtualBox.
Indeed! I thought it was pretty stupid from me, but only afterwards....

However, I tried pretty much all the settings reported here and here.

Now, I don't get the same error anymore. What I get is a message saying (see attachment):

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement
stille waiting for root device
Attachments
screenshot2.jpeg
screenshot2.jpeg (32.61 KiB) Viewed 5879 times
logFiles.zip
(28.52 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by ilcoso on 29. Jan 2017, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You've made so many deviations from the default that I don't know what to blame anymore. Like adding an IDE controller, disabling audio, enabling 3D and clipboards. You followed instructions from a 10.5 installation to install 10.6. You have enabled both the "cpuidset" and the "cpu-profile". In short; a mess.

Delete what you've done so far. It's not like you have anything to lose. Create a new VM with the 10.6 template and accept the defaults. Then if it fails to boot, shut down all VMs and VirtualBox, make sure in the Activity Monitor that no VM*, Virtual* or VBox* processes are running. Then open up Terminal and issue the "cpu-profile" command:
  • VBoxManage modifyvm "<Your VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Xeon X5482 3.20GHz"
PS. If you have to post a screenshot again, please shrink it by at least 50%. You're using a HiDPI display and it comes out as huge.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ilcoso

Post by ilcoso »

socratis wrote: PS. If you have to post a screenshot again, please shrink it by at least 50%. You're using a HiDPI display and it comes out as huge.
Sorry, I didn't think about it. Now. it should be better.
socratis wrote:Delete what you've done so far. It's not like you have anything to lose. Create a new VM with the 10.6 template and accept the defaults. Then if it fails to boot, shut down all VMs and VirtualBox, make sure in the Activity Monitor that no VM*, Virtual* or VBox* processes are running. Then open up Terminal and issue the "cpu-profile" command:

VBoxManage modifyvm "<Your VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Xeon X5482 3.20GHz"
That's actually the first thing I did, but it got stuck as in the the image below. That's why I tried to change all the other settings, which led to the previous message.
Should I try to remove the kernel extension form the .dmg as first thing? When I tried to do that as the only modification of the default settings it did not work.

In the case it was not clear from my first message, my version of Snow Leopard is NOT the server version. I admit I am a bit confused on whether Snow Leopard client can/may be virtualised.

Thanks again.
Attachments
screenshot3.jpeg
screenshot3.jpeg (23 KiB) Viewed 5873 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ilcoso wrote:Should I try to remove the kernel extension form the .dmg as first thing? When I tried to do that as the only modification of the default settings it did not work.
I'm not really sure how you are planning on doing that. Or how you did it (as you say). What kernel extension are you referring to that you want to remove?
ilcoso wrote:In the case it was not clear from my first message, my version of Snow Leopard is NOT the server version. I admit I am a bit confused on whether Snow Leopard client can/may be virtualized.
I know from first hand experience that the 10.6 client works. I have one. But I used the same exact version that came with my computer, 10.6.7 (10J3250), which was somewhere in between the official 10.6.7 (10J567) and 10.6.8 (10K540). The funny thing is that I kept trying to get the 10.5 client working for the longest time and I couldn't, until one day/version, it just worked. So there's always hope...

OK, back to the basics. Since the Xeon X5482 profile didn't work, try the following profiles, of course while booting your VM in between the changes. I HAVE NOT TRIED ANY OF THESE!
  • 
    VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Xeon X5482 3.20GHz"
    VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-2635QM"
    VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-3960X"
    VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i5-3570"
    VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-5600U"
    VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM name>" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"

This is the list of all the available profiles that you could use for your VM. If that doesn't work, I don't know anything that will. Why? Because I believe that this "--cpu-profile" is the next version/iteration of the "--cpuidset" trick.

Just take a look at what changes are involved when you invoke a "--cpu-profile" modification and you'll understand that it involves many more things than a "--cpuidset" modification. See for example what changes when you use the Xeon X5482: https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox ... _3_20GHz.h

Final thought: that's all I have. If something of these works, great, if not... not great.
ilcoso

Post by ilcoso »

Hi,

at the end I tried everything you suggested, but it didn't work.

Anyway, thanks for the advices