[HowTo] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.

Re: [HowTo] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app

Postby socratis » 26. Aug 2019, 23:22

DashingDave wrote:So good news is that it works.

Great, you had both me and 'granada29' worried over there for a moment. I guess "All's well that ends well". ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby socratis » 27. Nov 2019, 21:55

New version, 2019-11-27:
  • Added support for 10.15.1, 10.15.2.
  • Disable Spotlight before unmounting sparse image.
  • Fixed an issue when running administrator tasks from within the app.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Postby altajason » 24. Dec 2019, 20:06

Hi Socratis,

First of all, MacOS Catalina has stolen so much time from me. Grrr.

I have some 32-bit application I must use, I have no choice, and they are no longer maintained, I have a need to use them and have found no reasonable alternative 64-bit applications.

I have been using VBox 5.2.32 because the crater that using VBox 6 has caused made me back off. I spent days rebuilding HDDs as a result of the crash that VBox 6 did to my system.

I am using an iMac 2017 Retina 5k, 32GB on a quad core at 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i5. I have Catalina 10.15.2 installed.

I was able to make a ISO of Mojave, but unfortunately VBox does not support that ISO yet, (learned the hard way), so I have a copy of High Sierra (10.13.6) that I've been trying to turn into an ISO. I tried both the graphical application, and the shell script. No dice. I am attaching the output from -v 3 run of the InstallerApp2ISO.sh run. There seems to be several problems here, but at the end it fails due to what seems to be an issue with the script.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

-Jason
Attachments
InstallerApp2ISO-v2.txt
This is actually a cut-n-paste of the command line
(14.14 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
altajason

Guest OSses: Linux, Windows, MacOS(32-bit), Solaris

Postby socratis » 24. Dec 2019, 20:54

altajason wrote:I have been using VBox 5.2.32 because the crater that using VBox 6 has caused made me back off
You need to upgrade to 6.1.0, which now supports every OSX Guest under the radar, except the new 10.15.2.

altajason wrote:I spent days rebuilding HDDs as a result of the crash that VBox 6 did to my system.
Not sure what you're referring to.

altajason wrote:I tried both the graphical application, and the shell script. No dice.
I would be surprised if the one worked and the other didn't. They're the same thing under the hood. ;)

MY_INSTAPP    = Install macOS High Sierra10.13.6.02=6sept2019.app
Please remove that "=" character from the filename.
socratis
Site Moderator

Postby Philemon63 » 28. Dec 2019, 12:42

Hi Socrasis

First of all, thank you for developing this script, updating it and for all the time and effort you put into helping the many people who are struggling.
We are lucky to have you! :D

My goal is to get a virtual OS X El Capitan machine that runs on the new Macbook Pro 16' I just acquired (running Catalina 10.15.2) to run some old 32 bits apps.
I still have my old Macbook (MBP 15' retina late 2013 under Mojave).

I downloaded El Capitan on the Apple support page "How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan" (HT206886 support page, part 4), then recreated the installation application on the MBP 15' under Mojave

I then loaded and executed your script, which apparently ran without error.

Then I created a virtual machine on the MBP 16' under 10.15.2 with VirtualBox 6.1.
But when I start the machine, it freezes on a Meditation Guru :shock:

If I try the same thing on the MBP 15' under 10.14.6, still with VirtualBox 6.1, this time a "text" screen appears but it doesn't go further (last line displayed = com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded) :?

Do you have an idea of the problem ?
Philemon63

Postby ReMa » 5. Jan 2020, 13:20

Got this msg. Can someone help?

Create the installer media...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%...
Error erasing disk error number (22, 0)
A error occurred erasing the disk.

/Volumes/macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --nointeraction --volume /Volumes/OS X Base System

Unmount the sparse bundle...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error: invalid path `/Volumes/Install*'.
hdiutil: detach failed - No such file or directory
ReMa

Previous

Return to Mac OS X Guests