[HowTo] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
IOOI
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OPENSTEP, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Windows

Re: [Howto] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app

Post by IOOI »

socratis wrote:Now, to your error. I need to see the exact command line. Something about your destination directory is not right.
the command line was:

Code: Select all

./InstallerApp2iso.sh -i Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app -o ./
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Doh! :shock:
I never actually tested for the current directory being the destination. Some routines must be "confused". I'll do some testing and hopefully fix it. Thankfully it's just "cosmetic", because the ISO seems to have been created. Will check tomorrow morning...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hey IOOI,
I was unable to duplicate your problem. The problem seems to be with calculating the amount of free space in your destination directory. The same calculation works just fine for the temporary directory, so something is different about your "working"/destination directory which causes the script to choke.

Please post the output of the following commands, run from/at the same location where you had the problem:

pwd
df ./
df ./ | awk '/[0-9]%/{print $(NF-5)}'
Thanks in advance...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
david.portabella

Post by david.portabella »

Thanks for sharing this script.
Would you please mind publishing the script to github, so that we can know we are downloading the latest version and patches can be proposed?

Cheers,
David
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

What's wrong with this location? I don't really want to have another account. This *is* the latest and greatest version. Patches of course are more than welcomed (if not required)... ;)
david.portabella

Post by david.portabella »

I get two errors when using the script:

29:60: execution error: Finder got an error: Can’t get window "OS X Install ESD". (-1728)
33:66: execution error: Finder got an error: Can’t get window "OS X Base System". (-1728)
full log:

$ ./InstallerApp2iso.sh --installer /Volumes/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --output /david/Desktop/
================================================================================
Apple OSX Installer Application to ISO creation tool
================================================================================
Version: 2017-05-17
Copyright (C) 2017, socratis @ VirtualBox forums.
All rights reserved.

- OSX version: attempting automatic OSX detection from the InstallerApp...
/dev/disk2          	GUID_partition_scheme
/dev/disk2s1        	EFI
/dev/disk2s2        	Apple_HFS                      	/Volumes/InstallESD
- OSX version detected: 10.11.5 (15F34)
"disk4" unmounted.
"disk4" ejected.
"disk2" unmounted.
"disk2" ejected.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The conversion will use the following parameters:
    - Installer application   : /Volumes/Install OS X El Capitan/Install OS X El Capitan.app
    - Destination directory   : /david/Desktop (59 GiB/61 GB free)
    - Temporary directory     : /tmp (59 GiB/61 GB free)
    - OSX version scripts     : 10.11/10.12 scripts for version 10.11.5 (15F34)
    - Verbosity level         : 1
    - Calculate ISO checksum  : 0
    - Dry-run cmd. output     : 0

************************   I M P O R T A N T   ************************
Please understand that there is feedback for most processes, but not
for all of them, such as copying and moving. They can take up to ten
minutes or more, depending on your HD speed. If you selected a network
location or an external HD, these times can vary a lot.

Continue? (Yes/No)
yes

Conversion script started on: 2017-06-16 14:10:50 CEST
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mount the installer image...
/dev/disk2          	GUID_partition_scheme
/dev/disk2s1        	EFI
/dev/disk2s2        	Apple_HFS                      	/Volumes/InstallESD
29:60: execution error: Finder got an error: Can’t get window "OS X Install ESD". (-1728)

Create 10.11.5 blank ISO image with a Single Partition - Apple Partition Map...
created: /tmp/10.11.5.sparseimage

Mount the sparse bundle for package addition...
/dev/disk4          	Apple_partition_scheme
/dev/disk4s1        	Apple_partition_map
/dev/disk4s2        	Apple_HFS                      	/Volumes/OS X Base System

Restore the Base System into the 10.11.5 ISO image...
	Validating target...done
	Validating source...done
	Retrieving scan information...done
	Validating sizes...done
	Restoring  ....10....20....30....40....50....60....70....80....90....100
	Remounting target volume...done
33:66: execution error: Finder got an error: Can’t get window "OS X Base System". (-1728)

Remove Package link and replace with actual files... (go get some coffee)
  *** TIP *** You can press 'Ctrl-T' to watch the copying progress...

Unmount the installer image...
"disk2" unmounted.
"disk2" ejected.

Unmount the sparse bundle...
"disk4" unmounted.
"disk4" ejected.

Convert the sparse bundle to ISO/CD master... (this could take until next year)
Reading Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0)…
Reading Apple (Apple_partition_map : 1)…
Reading disk image (Apple_HFS : 2)…
.....................................................................................................................................................................
Elapsed Time: 28.692s
Speed: 285.5Mbytes/sec
Savings: 0.0%
created: /tmp/10.11.5.cdr

Remove the sparse bundle...

Rename the ISO and move it to its destination...
This can take a * really * long time if the destination is on the network...

Conversion script ended at         : 2017-06-16 14:12:09 CEST
Conversion script took a total of  : 1 min, 17 sec (77 s).

!!!  DONE !!!
You can find the OSX 10.11.5 installation DVD in:
/david/Desktop/10.11.5.iso

socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

david.portabella wrote:I get two errors when using the script:

Thanks for the feedback! However, these aren't "actual" errors, so you can safely ignore them. Here's what happens...

When the disk images get mounted, there is an explicit flag telling the Finder NOT to show a window of the mounted image ("hdiutil attach ... -nobrowse"). For unknown reasons, sometimes the Finder decides not to listen. There were complaints (and naturally) that this left a "phantom" Finder window. So, I decided to tell the Finder to explicitly close that window (osascript -e "tell application \"Finder\" to close window XYZ" > /dev/null). If (for yet unknown reasons) the Finder doesn't open the window in the first place, that error occurs...

I should make a note about that...
IOOI

Post by IOOI »

socratis wrote:Hey IOOI,
Please post the output of the following commands, run from/at the same location where you had the problem:

pwd
df ./
df ./ | awk '/[0-9]%/{print $(NF-5)}'
Thanks in advance...

MBP15:Mac OS X Installer lars$ pwd
/Volumes/BackUp 1/BackUps/Software/Mac OS X Installer
MBP15:Mac OS X Installer lars$ df ./
Filesystem   512-blocks       Used  Available Capacity   iused     ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/disk4s2 3906357344 2614868776 1291488568    67% 326858595 161436071   67%   /Volumes/BackUp 1
MBP15:Mac OS X Installer lars$ df ./ | awk '/[0-9]%/{print $(NF-5)}'
67%
MBP15:Mac OS X Installer lars$ 
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thank you IOOI. The "space" in the volume name was throwing the script off. The following should print the appropriate number of available blocks, when run from that path:

df ./ | awk 'NR>1 {print $4}'
I have updated the script.
justechn

Post by justechn »

Thank you for a great script
socratis wrote:Yes, I've been following that as well. But that's not a solution, that's a workaround at best. Problem is the VirtualBox is unable to start a VM with a native 10.12.5. But this is not the thread for such a discussion, no? There are at least two more dedicated threads about this.
You should put this in the list of known issues, even though it is not your issue, it is still a known issue. I spent a couple hours trying to figure out why vitrualbox was not booting the iso.

Also you should really move this to github or something similar. It is much better for this kind of project.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

justechn wrote:Thank you for a great script
Glad you liked/used it ;)
justechn wrote:You should put this in the list of known issues, even though it is not your issue, it is still a known issue.
Already done; #16644: Installation of clean OSX 10.12.4 fails. As soon as 10.12.4 came out...
justechn wrote:Also you should really move this to github or something similar. It is much better for this kind of project.
I'm open to ideas, but I still have not gotten a solid reason. If it's just to move it for the sake of it, that's not good enough. And I really hate opening new accounts, so it has to be a really compelling reason...
IOOI

Post by IOOI »

Any chance this script will be adapted to work with Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app?

./InstallerApp2iso.sh -i Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app -o ./

Apple OSX Installer Application to ISO creation tool
Version: 2017-07-18
Copyright (C) 2017, socratis @ VirtualBox forums.
All rights reserved.

- OSX version: attempting automatic OSX detection from the InstallerApp...
/dev/disk4          	GUID_partition_scheme          	
/dev/disk4s1        	EFI                            	
/dev/disk4s2        	Apple_HFS                      	/Volumes/InstallESD
hdiutil: attach failed - Es existiert keine Datei und kein Ordner dieser Art
translation: No file or folder of this kind exists
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I do not have my hands on a 10.13b yet, I'm not a paid Apple developer, just a freeloader ;). Once they go public, I will take a look at it. In the mean time, try to give it the "-x 10.12" parameter. See what happens...

I have a bad feeling about this...
IOOI

Post by IOOI »

IOOI wrote:

/dev/disk4s2        	Apple_HFS                      	/Volumes/InstallESD
hdiutil: attach failed - Es existiert keine Datei und kein Ordner dieser Art
BaseSystem's location changed, it is now in

$MY_INSTAPP/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseSystem.dmg
IOOI

Post by IOOI »

socratis wrote:I do not have my hands on a 10.13b yet, I'm not a paid Apple developer, just a freeloader ;). Once they go public, I will take a look at it. In the mean time, try to give it the "-x 10.12" parameter. See what happens...

I have a bad feeling about this...
Public Beta was released just yesterday. No paid account required. I am not paying either. Just go to https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/ and register