[HowTo] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Howto] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid we cannot allow links to software that is not meant to not be distributed by anyone except the original owner. Please lobby Apple to make the installers available again...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

on Lion Installers

Code: Select all

ls -alR
Attachments
LionInstallers.txt.zip
(14.54 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thanks ChipMcK for that. Thing is I don't remember an installer app for Lion or anything before 10.9. Everything I was buying/downloading was coming as a big DMG which allowed you to burn it directly on a DVD and boot from that. Pretty straight forward, that's why there was no need for this script here. Anyway, I'll take a look at the contents (thank you) and see if they are somewhat similar to the installers for 10.9.x up to 10.12.x (you can forget 10.13, that's a different beast altogether).

Having said that, while searching my archive HDs, I found an app from 2013 that seems to deal with this particular issue (and a whole lot more, like updates); InstaDMG. It's a project that started in 2008 and abandoned in 2013. It uses the Apple's installers and subsequent updates to create a single up-to-date image for installation. I'm not sure if it will do what you're looking for. Its successor, AutoDMG supposedly works for OSX > 10.8, so it might not do what you want. Be sure to read at a minimum the Getting Started and the FAQ. Take a look at both of these programs, since I don't have an installer app to test it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
joseluisbz
Guest OSses: Windows, macOS, CentOS

Post by joseluisbz »

Hi, I have two versions macOS 10.12.3 and macOS 10.12.4 of Install macOS Sierra.app folders.

I want to catch all log from installation (all you see when installation is performed) and I want to interpret the log error from installation (But I don't know how to do it).
I want to look for some package missed/changed on macOS 10.12.4 using a software comparator. If you give me some idea to begins I'm willing to do.

Sorry if I don't have anything for you now, but I want to begin to find what happens.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I don't have a clue. Usually OSX updates all of the apps, frameworks and libraries. Not sure why or how VirtualBox would get involved...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I've updated the first post to include instructions for creating the OSX 10.13 ISO from the installer application. Unfortunately it is not covered by the original script, it's a completely different process, with a completely installation procedure for 10.13. Thank you Apple!
 Edit: 2018-08-25: See next post! 
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [HowTo] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app

Post by socratis »

Hey everyone, I just released a new version of the script, which primarily introduces the unification of all the installers, 10.9 up to (and including) 10.13; 2018-04-18 (Dim version).

If you have any old/new installers still lurking out there in your backups, I'd appreciate the feedback. I tested it with everything that I could get my hands on, but a little more testing never hurt anyone...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

New version: 2018-06-10
  • Added support for 10.13.5 (17F77).
  • Added support for 10.14 beta (18A293u).
Roxbury

Post by Roxbury »

I guess I can't copy and paste text between my VNC software. I just downloaded the new script and it creates the blank ISO and says it needs to erase the volume at /Volumes/OS X Base System, gets to 10% and says there is an Erasing disk error number (22,0). I was running the script as sudo and even changed the dir to one off my / base but I still get the error.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Roxbury wrote:I can't copy and paste text between my VNC software
What VNC software? Try the process locally.

And if you do, use the "-v 3" switch to have the verbose output. Save that Terminal output to a text file, ZIP it and attach it.
Roxbury

Post by Roxbury »

Here is the output of my command.
Attachments
macOS Installer App Output.zip
(2.87 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

sudo ./InstallerApp2ISO.sh -i /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/ -t /vm/ -v 3
  1. The script doesn't require "sudo". You should be using "sudo" *only* when required, and not without thinking about it. Do you know if I didn't have any rogue commands it the script? My gut feeling is that you didn't check. Now your OSX is pwned! :twisted:
  2. Why did you specify the temp directory? Any particular reason? And why "/vm"? Have you checked the permissions on "/vm" to make sure they're appropriate? My original thinking was to have a 2nd local hard disk in case you didn't have space in your primary one, not to specify a different directory in the same hard drive as the temporary directory. Maybe I shouldn't even include the temp directory option after all. Leave the "-t /vm/" out of the command line and see what happens.
I'll need to add some checks on the permissions of the temp directory I guess. And have an indicator of your host's OSX version for diagnostic purposes (what's your host BTW?). Having the "/vm/" there is not right. Something's not right...
fsomalia

Post by fsomalia »

Hey, thank you for the script.
Is it compatible with 10.13.6? I ran it and got this message:

*** ERROR: Invalid OSX version specified: 10.13.6
           You need to rerun the script with an appropriate --OSX switch.
Of course I ran it again specifying 10.13 for -x clause but got an error when erasing the image:

Error erasing disk error number (22, 0)
A error occurred erasing the disk.
Attachments
terminal.zip
(4.8 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

fsomalia wrote: Is it compatible with 10.13.6?
NO, it does not work with 10.13.x.

Check [HowTo] Install OSX 10.13 in a VM
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

New version: 2019-01-04
  • Added support for 10.14.2 (18C54).
  • Added support for (hopefully) all 10.8.x.
  • Added host OSX version information.