[HowTo] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [HowTo] Create OSX ISO from the OSX Install app

Post by socratis »

DashingDave wrote:So good news is that it works.
Great, you had both me and 'granada29' worried over there for a moment. I guess "All's well that ends well". ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

New version, 2019-11-27:
  • Added support for 10.15.1, 10.15.2.
  • Disable Spotlight before unmounting sparse image.
  • Fixed an issue when running administrator tasks from within the app.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
altajason
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows, MacOS(32-bit), Solaris

Post by altajason »

Hi Socratis,

First of all, MacOS Catalina has stolen so much time from me. Grrr.

I have some 32-bit application I must use, I have no choice, and they are no longer maintained, I have a need to use them and have found no reasonable alternative 64-bit applications.

I have been using VBox 5.2.32 because the crater that using VBox 6 has caused made me back off. I spent days rebuilding HDDs as a result of the crash that VBox 6 did to my system.

I am using an iMac 2017 Retina 5k, 32GB on a quad core at 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i5. I have Catalina 10.15.2 installed.

I was able to make a ISO of Mojave, but unfortunately VBox does not support that ISO yet, (learned the hard way), so I have a copy of High Sierra (10.13.6) that I've been trying to turn into an ISO. I tried both the graphical application, and the shell script. No dice. I am attaching the output from -v 3 run of the InstallerApp2ISO.sh run. There seems to be several problems here, but at the end it fails due to what seems to be an issue with the script.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

-Jason
Attachments
InstallerApp2ISO-v2.txt
This is actually a cut-n-paste of the command line
(14.14 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

altajason wrote:I have been using VBox 5.2.32 because the crater that using VBox 6 has caused made me back off
You need to upgrade to 6.1.0, which now supports every OSX Guest under the radar, except the new 10.15.2.
altajason wrote:I spent days rebuilding HDDs as a result of the crash that VBox 6 did to my system.
Not sure what you're referring to.
altajason wrote:I tried both the graphical application, and the shell script. No dice.
I would be surprised if the one worked and the other didn't. They're the same thing under the hood. ;)
MY_INSTAPP    = Install macOS High Sierra10.13.6.02=6sept2019.app
Please remove that "=" character from the filename.
Philemon63

Post by Philemon63 »

Hi Socrasis

First of all, thank you for developing this script, updating it and for all the time and effort you put into helping the many people who are struggling.
We are lucky to have you! :D

My goal is to get a virtual OS X El Capitan machine that runs on the new Macbook Pro 16' I just acquired (running Catalina 10.15.2) to run some old 32 bits apps.
I still have my old Macbook (MBP 15' retina late 2013 under Mojave).

I downloaded El Capitan on the Apple support page "How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan" (HT206886 support page, part 4), then recreated the installation application on the MBP 15' under Mojave

I then loaded and executed your script, which apparently ran without error.

Then I created a virtual machine on the MBP 16' under 10.15.2 with VirtualBox 6.1.
But when I start the machine, it freezes on a Meditation Guru :shock:

If I try the same thing on the MBP 15' under 10.14.6, still with VirtualBox 6.1, this time a "text" screen appears but it doesn't go further (last line displayed = com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded) :?

Do you have an idea of the problem ?
ReMa

Post by ReMa »

Got this msg. Can someone help?

Create the installer media...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%...
Error erasing disk error number (22, 0)
A error occurred erasing the disk.

/Volumes/macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --nointeraction --volume /Volumes/OS X Base System

Unmount the sparse bundle...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error: invalid path `/Volumes/Install*'.
hdiutil: detach failed - No such file or directory
Mafak

Post by Mafak »

Rank beginner here, I am trying to create an ISO of Mojave OS to use in Virtualbox on my iMac running OSX Catalina 10.15.1
I have tried using InstallerApp2ISO and it fails, with the following:

Conversion script started on: 2020-05-24 11:03:12 BST

Create 10.14.6 blank ISO image with a Single Partition - Apple Partition Map...
created: /var/folders/4q/1j0y69mx6bngv84mk1vk94_r0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/(A Document Being Saved By InstallerApp2ISO)/10.14.6.sparseimage

Mount the sparse bundle for package addition...
/dev/disk5 Apple_partition_scheme
/dev/disk5s1 Apple_partition_map
/dev/disk5s2 Apple_HFS /Volumes/OS X Base System

Create the installer media...
Erasing disk: 0%... 10%...
Error erasing disk error number (22, 0)
An error occurred erasing the disk.

/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --nointeraction --volume /Volumes/OS X Base System

Unmount the sparse bundle...
Error: invalid path `/Volumes/Install*'.
hdiutil: detach failed - No such file or directory

Can anyone tell me please what this means and how I can overcome the error?
Any help gratefully received, but I am not a programmer, so simple language would be very useful - thanks.

Dave
BXG

Post by BXG »

Mafak wrote:Rank beginner here, I am trying to create an ISO of Mojave OS to use in Virtualbox on my iMac running OSX Catalina 10.15.1
I kept getting the Error 22 when trying to create the image from the terminal. The only way I found to get around it was to use disk utility to create the .DMG. The only terminal command I used after creating the dmg was: sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Catalina --nointeraction

after this runs you just have to rename your .cdr to .iso
Last edited by mpack on 25. May 2020, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Verbatim quote trimmed. No need to quote the entire post that appears right above yours!
didiko
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by didiko »

Regarding what you wrote in the OP:
[*]The checksum option is not working as expected. This is the most baffling part in the behavior of the script. You have a script that does the exact same thing, time after time after time. Yet the checksum at the end is like you're generating a random hex number. No clue why it doesn't work.

It doesn't work since when creating the initial image, it generates a unique volume ID or serial.
BiscayneBerto

Post by BiscayneBerto »

Hello,

I'm trying to install Yosemite 10.10.5 on a Mojave 10.14.6 Virtualbox host.
I downloaded what seems to be the Install OS X Yosemite installer.app, that is sitting in /Application.
I set up a new Yosemite VM, and assigned as Optical Drive the 10.10.5.iso file that I got through this script.
When I start the VM I get stuck in the UEFI Interactive Shell.

I tried to build a bootable .iso Installer file in many other ways, to no avail.

I have no clue of what I'm doing wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Roberto
daydream

Post by daydream »

I Think I have this same problem. What mac are you loading it on? I am using a 2013 Macbook Pro. I have read that you can't run Yosemite on it.
kambala
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Debian 10, macOS 10.13.6

Post by kambala »

tried to do this with macOS 10.13.6 install dmg from macOS 12.5, but got an error in the middle:
ditto: /Volumes/OS X Base System/usr/standalone/i386/SecureBoot.bundle/./Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources: Unknown error: 1000
Copying installer files to disk...
Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Failed to copy secure boot bundle: 1
then tried to follow [HowTo] Install OSX 10.13 in a VM thread (sorry, can't post link because I'm new member) to install macOS 10.13.6, but I always end up straight in the EFI shell, I guess it's related to the above error.

tried creating iso with shell script and with GUI app, both produce the same error, no idea how to resolve it. Find full log from GUI app attached.
Attachments
macOS 10.13.6 ISO creation for VirtualBox.txt
(23.28 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
granada29
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

I just ran this on macOS 12.5 using a macOS 10.13 Installer. It completed successfully and there was no error from the 'ditto' command.

I wonder if the problem you are seeing is to do with System Preferences/Security&Privacy/Full Disk Access

On my machine I have given access to Terminal and /bin/sh
kambala
Guest OSses: Debian 10, macOS 10.13.6

Post by kambala »

Terminal already had full disk access, tried giving it to /bin/sh - didn't help, same error.

my Mac has T2 chip, can it be related?
host: macOS 12.5 @ Mac mini 2018 (Intel)