[NotAnIssue] can't recover lost memory from virtual box 5.1 on imac (os mavericks) after uninstallin

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Mike02

[NotAnIssue] can't recover lost memory from virtual box 5.1 on imac (os mavericks) after uninstallin

Post by Mike02 »

I recently uninstalled Virtual Box 5.1 (w/ Windows10 x64 installed, 4GB allocated memory, 32GB storage) on my imac (OS X Mavericks, w/ 8GB Memory originally, 1TB storage) after testing Toon Boom on it. I uninstalled it using the tool included and I removed remaining Virtual Box files using OmniDisk Sweep.

However, I checked the status of my mac and it said that it still has 2 memory slots w/ both of them having 4GB each. I also checked via Disk Utility under Partition and it shows that I have 999.35GB but the partition layout shows a blue portion on top which might indicate that there's still allotted memory for the uninstalled virtualbox.

Does anyone know how I can regain my lost 4GB memory and 32GB storage? I've seen others turning off the FireVault(?) to solve this but mine was off from the start. I was thinking of using the Erase Free Space option in Disk utility but I'm not sure if it's safe to execute.
Last edited by socratis on 15. Dec 2016, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [NotAnIssue] in the title.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: can't recover lost memory from virtual box 5.1 on imac (os mavericks) after uninstalling

Post by socratis »

1. VirtualBox is an application, not a physical computer resource destroyer ;).
  2. The data that VirtualBox creates are called Virtual Machines (VMs).
  3. If VirtualBox is not running, it cannot consume memory/RAM. By definition. So I have no clue what you're talking about, we may need some more details. You realize that OSX takes up memory too, right?
  4. If VirtualBox is uninstalled, the data you create with any application still remain on your hard disk. If you delete iTunes, that means you deleted your music? No.
  5. So, for your data (VMs) go to your home directory, "VirtualBox VMs" in there should hold the VMs that you created. Delete them at will.
Wait a minute...
Mike02 wrote:after testing Toon Boom on it. I uninstalled it using the tool included
Uninstalled what? Toon Boom or VirtualBox?

PS. I didn't know what Toon Boom was, but I checked it out and it exists natively on a Mac...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mike02

Re: can't recover lost memory from virtual box 5.1 on imac (os mavericks) after uninstalling

Post by Mike02 »

Thanks for the fast reply and for making things clear to me! Sorry if it sounded confusing. I'm not really good with computer terms. Just to keep it short, my issue was that my imac's memory is currently divided into two 4GB slots (compared to :before I installed Virtual Box where I had a single 8GB slot) after uninstalling Virtual Box.

Here's a picture on the net similar to mine: h t t p s : / / w w w . m a c o b s e r v e r . c o m /imgs/tips/20150617_Upgrade.jpg
Sorry for the weird format, I can't seem to upload this reply with a link

Also, I looked at my home directory but could not find a VirtualbBox VMs folder there.

P.S. Regarding your question, it's Virtual Box. I used the uninstall tool included in the installer dmg to uninstall it.
Last edited by socratis on 15. Dec 2016, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Mike02 wrote:my imac's memory is currently divided into two 4GB slots (compared to :before I installed Virtual Box where I had a single 8GB slot)
IMPOSSIBLE!!! Your iMac cannot have 1x8GB slot. No Mac does. It always had 2x4GB slots.
Mike02 wrote:I looked at my home directory but could not find a VirtualbBox VMs folder there.
Then search your hard drive for "VDI". Or even better, search for "VirtualBox". That's where your VM would be. If you can't find it, it's gone, deleted...

PS. You can attach images here with the "Upload attachment", but this one wasn't even necessary, so don't worry.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mike02

Post by Mike02 »

Oh!!! Didn't know about that :) Sorry! I shouldn't have made this post then since there wasn't a problem from the start. I'll probably delete this post later.

On the side note, I can't find any files with VDI or VirtualBox so I guess it's deleted. Anyway, thanks again for the help and for being patient with me socratis!
Last edited by socratis on 15. Dec 2016, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Don't worry, you won't have to delete your messages. It may help others searching for something like that in the future. No like that people search, but I'm hopeful ;)

PS. For future use, you don't have to quote verbatim the last message whole, just part of it, if you have to. Otherwise, you simply reply. It saves screen space and digital trees... ;)