Tiger guest on Sierra host

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
okiuss
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OSX,LINUX,WINXXX

Tiger guest on Sierra host

Post by okiuss »

Guest OS: OSX Tiger 10.4.11
Host OS: OSX Sierra 10.12.1
VBoxVersion: 5.1.10
--------------------------
Guest installation CDs from MBP late 2007
Host: iMac late 2009
--------------------------
Problem: Guest sometimes boots correctly into UI but most of the time
it hangs with "still waiting for root device".
Solutions to start up the guest again are:
* Start any other VirtualBox guest in parallel with the Tiger guest.
* Switch virtual disk from SATA-1 to SATA 3 and back to SATA 1 or to SATA-2 .....

I have tried anything but i havent found any solution to this
non-deterministic behaviour. And computers and software should work
in a deterministic behaviour ;-)

Any hints ?

Regards, OKIUSS
Attachments
VBox.logs.gz
(51.84 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Re: Tiger guest on Sierra host

Post by rpmurray »

I tried running my OS X Tiger 10.4.11 guest on a host running OS X Sierra 10.12.2 but can't get it past a kernel panic in the guest when using VirtualBox 5.1.10.

Host: iMac i7 3.4 GHz 27-Inch (Mid-2011)

If you can tell me which magic incantations you used to make this work I can try to see if I get the same results as you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Since this is about a more general thread that rpmurray just created (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=81146), let's move the focus there.

@okiuss
I've been seeing this with several OSX clients. Never figured out why, when, or what. A simple Reset VM (Host+R) usually gets the VM going with no problems. It doesn't make sense, but that's what it is. The most often affected one is my 10.9 and 10.10. All settings default, no modifications.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
okiuss

Post by okiuss »

tried it again with VirtualBox 5.1.12, but nothing changed

@rpmurray, this is my recipe:

Create virtual machine "Tiger8"
Template: Mac OS X (32-bit)
create Disk 40 GB
VideoMem 128MB/ 3D

Add IDE Controller (ICH6)
Add CDROM as primary master
Remove virtual disk from SATA and add it as primary slave to the IDE controller
Connect the host CD-ROM with option passthrough (ISO image did not work !!)

VBoxManage modifyvm Tiger8 --cpuidset 00000000 00000001 756e6547 6c65746e 49656e69
VBoxManage setextradata Tiger8 VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct MacBookPro3,1
VBoxManage setextradata Tiger8 VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC 1
VBoxManage setextradata Tiger8 VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 4

start the vm ...
choose disk utility to format the vdisk
install ...

Remove the installation disk
Switch back the vdisk from IDE to SATA (PORT-2)
and start again

If the machine stalls, press CMD-R until it boots into UI
(much mor reliable is to start any other vm in parallel to the tiger guest)

continue with "Mac OSX Install Disc 2"
rpmurray
Volunteer

Post by rpmurray »

Thanks okiuss. I gave those settings a try and am still seeing the panic. My next step is to try to create a Tiger VM from scratch to see if that makes a difference.

A couple of questions. What is the purpose of the following change to the CPUID leaf?

VBoxManage modifyvm Tiger8 --cpuidset 00000000 00000001 756e6547 6c65746e 49656e69

And would you be willing to post a copy of your Tiger8.vbox file so I could check to see if I'm missing something? And also the the Tiger8 log file where it's gone through a complete startup and shutdown cycle.

My current working hypothesis is that the CPU in my iMac is different from the one in your MacBookPro and may be reporting different capabilities (something Tiger doesn't like in mine). There are two differences from the working log file you previously posted that I'm wondering may have an impact on running the VM. One if that your log file reported:

HM: HMR3Init: VT-x w/ nested paging hw support

and mine reported:

HM: HMR3Init: VT-x w/ nested paging and unrestricted guest execution hw support

I've tried turning off unrestricted guest execution but that didn't get me anywhere.

The other is yours reporting:

CPUM: Matched host CPU INTEL 0x6/0x1e/0x5 Intel_Core7_Nehalem with CPU DB entry 'Intel Core i7-3960X' (INTEL 0x6/0x2d/0x6 Intel_Core7_SandyBridge)
CPU: CPUID(0).EAX 0x106e5 -> 0x10671 (uMaxIntelFamilyModelStep=0x61701, uCurIntelFamilyModelStep=0x61e05

And mine reporting:

CPUM: Matched host CPU INTEL 0x6/0x2a/0x7 Intel_Core7_SandyBridge with CPU DB entry 'Intel Core i7-2635QM' (INTEL 0x6/0x2a/0x7 Intel_Core7_SandyBridge)
CPU: CPUID(0).EAX 0x206a7 -> 0x10671 (uMaxIntelFamilyModelStep=0x61701, uCurIntelFamilyModelStep=0x62a07

I'll continue working on it from this end. Once I get it working I can start checking on the issue both you and socratis reported. Looking at the two log files you previously posted (working and non-working) the point where they diverge is while it's accessing the IDE controller. Have you tried disconnecting in the settings whatever you currently have attached to it? From your log file that appears to be your optical drive. Or set the boot order so that the hard drive comes first?
okiuss

Post by okiuss »

@rpmurray:

Without the --cpuidset, the vm panics straight after booting.

I have attached the .vbox file from the Tiger guest running on 5.1.12.
Attachments
Tiger8.vbox.tgz
(1.79 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
rpmurray
Volunteer

Post by rpmurray »

OK. Finally got it working. My settings file and yours matched except for details that are unique to each VM like the UUIDs.

What finally got it working was a tip I got from socratis in the topic Installing Pre Snow Leopard guest OS X in VB 5.1.x about setting the cpu-profile. I first tried changing it to the one in your working log file but that didn't work for me. But when I used the command below, it did.

VBoxManage modifyvm "Tiger" --cpu-profile "Intel Xeon X5482 3.20GHz"

Tiger is the name of my VM. In case anyone else runs into this problem try the above setting with the name of your VM in place of Tiger.

I'll start working with this to see if I get the same boot problem in the guest that you see.

I have noticed that when I choose About This Mac under the apple on the left hand side of the menu bar that the window goes black and then comes back to the Finder. The console is showing "loginwindow crashed". Does the same thing happen to you?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

rpmurray wrote:OK. Finally got it working.
Nice!
rpmurray wrote:In case anyone else runs into this problem
1) Not that many people have an Intel 10.4.x OSX. If you feel that holiday spirit of sharing... ;)
2) Not that many people have that nostalgia feeling...
rpmurray wrote:I have noticed that when I choose About This Mac under the apple on the left hand side of the menu bar that the window goes black and then comes back to the Finder.
I've seen it happening with other OSX versions as well. If it doesn't crash for you at this point, you can always go for the more crash prone "System Information". That usually does it, although it has become more stable over each release.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rpmurray
Volunteer

Post by rpmurray »

socratis wrote:1) Not that many people have an Intel 10.4.x OSX. If you feel that holiday spirit of sharing... ;)
Not sure how I'd go about that.

Neither the vbox.log file or the system log in Tiger shows any errors that would lead me to a possible solution. I've tried various VirtualBox settings and VBoxManage commands via the Terminal and so far have not had any luck. When I get the "still waiting for root device" if I just restart the VM a few times it eventually boots but I haven't come across anything so far that permanently stops the "still waiting for root device" from occurring. Google so far has not lead me to a solution. Most reports of this lead to sites having trouble loading OS X on hackintoshes. The OS X Tiger 10.4.11 that I have running under VB 4.1.32 doesn't exhibit this problem. In fact that one actually lets me do an About This Mac without crashing back to the Finder.
Last edited by rpmurray on 16. Feb 2017, 22:13, edited 2 times in total.
okiuss

Post by okiuss »

Finally got it working :-)

Attaching the vdisk as a primary master on IDE, the Tiger VM starts reliable
without "still waiting for root device"

@socratis: Do you know if anything changed in the EFI code of the last VBOX release ?
(If i remember correctly, EFI could only boot SATA disks ...)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

okiuss wrote:@socratis: Do you know if anything changed in the EFI code of the last VBOX release ?
(If i remember correctly, EFI could only boot SATA disks ...)
I wasn't aware of such a restriction, mainly because I've never tried it. I just tried to boot a new OSX client with a single IDE CD and it didn't work. I tried it with an Ubuntu 16.04-64 CD and it booted just fine, even if I forgot to change the client from OSX 10.11 to Ubuntu-64.

When do you last remember this restriction?
okiuss

Post by okiuss »

socratis wrote: When do you last remember this restriction?
All my tests with the Tiger guest began with early releases of 5.0.x.
When i was trying to boot from the fresh installed IDE-disk, i only got the EFI boot shell.
And so i switched it back to SATA.
rpmurray
Volunteer

Post by rpmurray »

okiuss wrote:Finally got it working :-)

Attaching the vdisk as a primary master on IDE, the Tiger VM starts reliable
without "still waiting for root device"
I would swear that I tried that and got dropped into the EFI shell for my trouble. When I get home I'll try that again and see if that's still the case. Did you need to choose any specific IDE controller hardware (PIIX3, PIIX4 or ICH6) for that?
okiuss

Post by okiuss »

The type of my IDE controller is ICH6. You can look into my box configuration for reference.
Attachments
Tiger8.vbox.tgz
(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
okiuss

Post by okiuss »

Any new insights on this problem ?
The drawback of using IDE against SATA virtualization is the performance difference :-(