Install OSX in VB

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
OSX-inVB

Install OSX in VB

Post by OSX-inVB »

Dear All
I have successfully installed VB in My Macbook air .However i am facing some issue to install (Yosemite) in the Virtual box kindly find the technical details below

1) There is no CD drive in my Laptop
2) Even i manage to get external CD drive for my MacbookAir , Apple doesn't provide OSX installer in CD drive format so i cant instal Yosemite by using CD drive also in the VB

3) Virtual box doesn't support USB bootable (I am not sure weather the VB is supporting USB or not )

anyone please guid me to install OSX Yosemite in my virtual box.

Note : i am not good in command prompt solution .

Main Concern : Does VB support boot from USB ? Kindly help :) :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Install OSX in VB

Post by socratis »

OSX-inVB wrote:1) There is no CD drive in my Laptop
Neither there is a 2nd computer inside your laptop, but you still want to install one ;). That's why it's called virtual...
OSX-inVB wrote:2) Even i manage to get external CD drive for my MacbookAir , Apple doesn't provide OSX installer in CD drive format so i cant instal Yosemite by using CD drive also in the VB
That can be arranged, assuming you've already downloaded the installer from Apple. See the script below.
OSX-inVB wrote:3) Virtual box doesn't support USB bootable (I am not sure weather the VB is supporting USB or not)
Negative on both accounts. Starting with 5.1.x VirtualBox supports booting from USB. The client has to support/boot from EFI, which OSX not only does, but it has to. I haven't tried the USB booting personally (didn't have the need), and I can't say I've seen a successful report, but someone's got to go first.

Also, not only VirtualBox supports USB1 and USB2 for many years now, but, since version 5.0.x, USB3 as well.
OSX-inVB wrote:Note : i am not good in command prompt solution.
Oops, too bad, because you're going to have to get your hands dirty. Don't worry, it's a copy/paste operation with minor modifications, if any.

Copy the contents of the script below. Your OSX installer is supposed to be in "/Applications/Install OS X Yosemite.app". If not, modify the first "hdiutil" line of the script. If you don't know, post the exact location and name of the installer app and I could fix it for you:

Code: Select all

# ==============================================================
# 10.10 How to make an ISO from the Install.app
# ==============================================================
echo 
echo Mount the installer image
echo -----------------------------------------------------------
echo $ hdiutil attach /Applications/Install OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app
       hdiutil attach /Applications/Install OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

echo 
echo Convert the boot image to a sparse bundle
echo --------------------------------------------------------------------------
echo $ hdiutil convert /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -format UDSP -o /tmp/10.10
       hdiutil convert /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -format UDSP -o /tmp/10.10

echo 
echo Increase the sparse bundle capacity to 8GB to accommodate the packages
echo $ hdiutil resize -size 8g /tmp/10.10.sparseimage
       hdiutil resize -size 8g /tmp/10.10.sparseimage

echo 
echo Mount the sparse bundle for package addition
echo $ hdiutil attach /tmp/10.10.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build
       hdiutil attach /tmp/10.10.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

echo 
echo Remove Package link and replace with actual files
echo $ rm /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/Packages
       rm /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/Packages
echo $ cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/
       cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/
echo $ cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.* /Volumes/install_build/
       cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.* /Volumes/install_build/

echo 
echo Unmount the installer image
echo $ hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app
       hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app

echo 
echo Unmount the sparse bundle
echo $ hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_build
       hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_build

echo 
echo Resize the partition in the sparse bundle to remove any free space
echo $ hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/10.10.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/10.10.sparseimage
       hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/10.10.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/10.10.sparseimage

echo 
echo Convert the sparse bundle to ISO/CD master
echo $ hdiutil convert /tmp/10.10.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/10.10
       hdiutil convert /tmp/10.10.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/10.10

echo 
echo Remove the sparse bundle
echo $ rm /tmp/10.10.sparseimage
       rm /tmp/10.10.sparseimage

echo 
echo Rename the ISO and move it to the desktop
echo $ mv /tmp/10.10.cdr ~/Desktop/10.10.iso
       mv /tmp/10.10.cdr ~/Desktop/10.10.iso
This will leave you with a "10.10.iso" on your desktop which you can use to install 10.10 on VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.