The macOS 10.12 guests Window Server crashes from time to time

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
IOOI
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OPENSTEP, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Windows

The macOS 10.12 guests Window Server crashes from time to time

Post by IOOI »

I am experiencing the following: Right after logging in into my macOS 10.12 guest the Window Server of the guest crashes bouncing me back to the login screen. Host is an OS X 10.10.5, VirtualBox is 5.1.8 r111374 (Qt5.5.1). Often I have to log in five to ten times until the session seems to be "stable". Even then the Window Server crashes from time to time. Anyone experiencing the same?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: The macOS 10.12 guests Window Server crashes from time to time

Post by socratis »

Host: OSX 10.9.5
VirtualBox: 5.1.9 r111957 (Qt5.6.2)

I can't say that I've seen the 10.12 window server crashing. I left it overnight to test after I saw your message, with a couple of users logged in and a couple of apps running per user. Nothing.

I do remember seeing the login / crash / return to login sequence before with OSX clients. I don't remember when, I don't remember which version of VirtualBox or OSX host/guest. I haven't seen it in a long, long time...

Anything out of the "ordinary" running on the host or guest that you think might be interfering/causing this?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
IOOI
Guest OSses: OPENSTEP, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Windows

Post by IOOI »

Nothing that I am aware of. Especially in the guest I have nothing running for now since it is not reliable for me. A difference between your and my setup I noticed is that you're running 10.9 as host, while in my case it is 10.10. If I find the time I'll try to set up a fresh 10.10 host on some external drive and watch if the window server keeps on crashing
Last edited by socratis on 12. Dec 2016, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
joseluisbz
Guest OSses: Windows, macOS, CentOS

Post by joseluisbz »

Hi!
I have the same problem....

Code: Select all

AMFI: allowing exception handler for ‘WindowServer' (813) because the handler was set by master-entltled process ‘launchd’ (1)
AMFI: allowing exceptlon handler for ‘loginwindow' (812) because the handler was set by master-entltled process ‘init' (1).
AMFI: allowlng exceptlon handler for ‘loginwindow' (812) because the handler was set by master-entltled process ‘launchd’ (1).
IUConsoleUsers: time(0) 0->0, lin 0, llk 1,
IUConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

AMFI: allowing exception handler for ‘WindowServer' (1556) because the handler was set by master-entitled process ‘launchd’ (1).
SandboxViolation: fontd(1594) deny(1) flle-issue-extension /Network/Library
SandboxViolation: languageassetd(544) deny(1) network-outbound /private/var/run/mDNSResponder

SandboxViolation: CommCenter(1129) deny(1) file-read-metadata /private/var/folders
SandboxViolation: CommCenter(1129) deny(1) file-read-metadata /private/var/folders
I installed macOS Sierra 10.12 like Guest on VirtualBox 5.1.10 on my MacBook Air with macOS Sierra too.

I facing errors! I login with difficulties an when I can, raise the error and I need to log in... the machine is not halt totally.

For me is difficult to extract all Logs.
Last edited by socratis on 28. Jan 2017, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced image with actual text.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

joseluisbz wrote:For me is difficult to extract all Logs.
Not at all. Just follow these steps:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error.
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself). Not saved, not paused. Completely shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (just the first log), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Although I do not think that you have the same error as the original poster...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
joseluisbz

Post by joseluisbz »

Hi, Here the link for Video https://youtu.be/xALbh0S9FwQ

Finding the Word WindowServer, not was found! Where I can find it?
Attachments
VBox.log.txt.zip
(26.99 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Last edited by joseluisbz on 28. Jan 2017, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

• The video was helpful, you do have the same problem as the original poster.
  • I need to know the exact details of how you installed the guest, mainly how you created the ISO or the DMG file that you used to install it.
  • Please attach the VBox.log file locally (see picture below). Zip them first. Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites.
joseluisbz

Post by joseluisbz »

To create iso file:

$ hdiutil attach /Users/josebernal/Downloads/InstallESD.dmg -nobrowse -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/esd
$ hdiutil create -o /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSInstaller.cdr -size 7.5g -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
$ hdiutil attach /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSInstaller.cdr.dmg  -nobrowse -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/iso
$ asr restore -source /Volumes/esd/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/iso -noprompt -noverify -erase
$ sudo rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
$ cp -rp /Volumes/esd/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation
$ cp -rp /Volumes/esd/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
$ cp -rp /Volumes/esd/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/
$ hdiutil detach /Volumes/esd
$ hdiutil detach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System
$ hdiutil convert /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSInstaller.cdr.dmg -format UDTO -o /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSInstaller.iso
$ mv /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSInstaller.iso.cdr /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSSierraInstaller.iso
I noted this two operations:

$ hdiutil convert /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSInstaller.cdr.dmg -format UDTO -o /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSInstaller.iso
$ mv /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSInstaller.iso.cdr /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSSierraInstaller.iso
are equivalent to:

$ mv /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSInstaller.cdr.dmg /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSInstaller.iso
Because the result tell me this:

$ cmp /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSInstaller.iso /Users/josebernal/Downloads/macOSSierraInstaller.iso
$
No difference found!!!

I do not know if it influences the failure
I take like base Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (64-bit), 2 Processors, Video Memory 128, etc... (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP742?loca ... cale=en_US)
Audio Controller with Intel HD Audio or ICH AC97
USB Controller with OHCI, EHCI or xHCI.

Testing with the same conditions, but taking Mac OS X (64-bit), I haven't the error messages....
joseluisbz

Post by joseluisbz »

IOOI wrote:Nothing that I am aware of. Especially in the guest I have nothing running for now since it is not reliable for me. A difference between your and my setup I noticed is that you're running 10.9 as host, while in my case it is 10.10. If I find the time I'll try to set up a fresh 10.10 host on some external drive and watch if the window server keeps on crashing
Hi, Please what flavor Version You take like base?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.1.10 r112026 darwin.amd64 (Nov 21 2016 17:53:09) release log
Please upgrade to the latest 5.1.14 (as of this writing).
00:00:01.971722 [/Devices/ichac97/] (level 2)
You have set your audio to "ICH AC97". Please use the default "Intel HD Audio".
00:00:01.971450   NumCPUs           <integer> = 0x0000000000000002 (2)
00:00:02.282529 CPUM: Logical host processors: 4 present, 4 max, 4 online, online mask: 000000000000000f
00:00:02.282533 CPUM: Physical host cores: 2
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors, not logical ones. See: CPU Cores versus threads.
  • A Core is a hardware term that describes the number of independent central processing units in a single computing component (die or chip).
  • A Thread, or thread of execution (or logical CPU), is a software term for the basic ordered sequence of instructions that can be passed through or processed by a single CPU core.
Source: http://ark.intel.com
Finally, I'd like you to explain the following:
joseluisbz wrote:Testing with the same conditions, but taking Mac OS X (64-bit), I haven't the error messages....
Does that mean that if you change the VM Settings » General » Basic » Version, to "Mac OS X (64-bit)" you can login fine and you don't see the OSX window manager crash?
joseluisbz

Post by joseluisbz »

Socratis!

I installed 9 times taking like base Mac OS X El Capitan 64 bits with the same result (messages error), but using General Mac OS X 64bits two times no presenting this error messages! I think that was Solved!

I tested Audio ICH AC97 and Intel HD Audio, Only works Intel HD Audio.

I have 4 Processors, checking with

sysctl -n hw.ncpu
, and Assigned majority times 2 processors, maybe some times I selected erroneously more than 2.

Socratis, is it possible to check changes (or differences) between Mac OS X El Capitan 64 bits and General Mac OS X 64bits?
Last edited by joseluisbz on 29. Jan 2017, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

joseluisbz wrote:I have 4 Processors, checking with "sysctl -n hw.ncpu"
No, you do not have 4 physical processors, you have 2. And as I told you, do not assign more than 1 CPU to the VM.
Here's your processor's information from Intel: https://ark.intel.com/products/84984/In ... o-2_70-GHz.
And look at the System Information » Hardware » Total number of cores.
And if you want to use "sysctl", then look at the proper parameter:

sysctl hw.physicalcpu
sysctl hw.logicalcpu
joseluisbz wrote:Socratis, is it possible to check changes (or differences) between Mac OS X El Capitan 64 bits and General Mac OS X 64bits?
It can be done, but how is that going to help you? You've already found a workaround. The differences are really esoteric and that's why they're not exposed.