trivial question, but I don't know ....

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
oscaroxy

trivial question, but I don't know ....

Post by oscaroxy »

... I tried to change the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso in order to put different version, but now I would to put the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso of VBox that update in automatic by upgrade VBox.

I try to put into /Application/Virtualbox.app but don't enter into Content by dialog (see 3° attach), How do I resolve this?

thanks
Attachments
Schermata-2016-09-15-alle-09.47.28.jpg
Schermata-2016-09-15-alle-09.47.28.jpg (51.53 KiB) Viewed 4697 times
Schermata-2016-09-15-alle-09.43.28.jpg
Schermata-2016-09-15-alle-09.43.28.jpg (43.52 KiB) Viewed 4697 times
Schermata-2016-09-15-alle-09.43.07.jpg
Schermata-2016-09-15-alle-09.43.07.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 4697 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: trivial question, but I don't know ....

Post by socratis »

Can you repeat the question in Italian?
Puoi ripetere la domanda in italiano?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
oscaroxy

Post by oscaroxy »

Ho provato a cambiare VBoxGuestAdditions.iso su una macchina virtuale, perché volevo appunto provare una versione diversa della VBoxGuestAdditions.iso, ora però voglio rimettere quella di VBox, che si trova dentro /Application/VirtuaoBox.app/Contents... che viene aggiornata in automatico quando faccio l'upgrade di VBox.

purtroppo, come puoi vedere dall'allegato 3 del precedente post quando seleziono la cartella Application, dal dialog, arrivo al più alla cartella VirtuaoBox.app e non dentro Contents, quindi non posso mettere il file VBoxGuestAdditions.iso.

Come risolvo? non c'è un file xml di configurazione che posso modificare a mano visto che dal dialog non posso accedere?

grazie mille
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1) DO NOT mess with Applications. NEVER.
2) Why don't you put the ISO somewhere else (Desktop?) and point the VirtualBox to that one. Treat it like any other ISO.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
oscaroxy

Post by oscaroxy »

I would to use the VBoxGuestAddition of VBox, so Vbox update also Addition when it upgrade itself, else every time that I upgrade VBox after I have to copy the VBoxGuestAddition from /application/Virtualbox.app/Contents... to my folder.

Exist a XML where can I change the path?

thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1) I am repeating, do NOT mess with Applications. Once they update you'll have to do it again.
2) GAs do not update automatically. You have to start the process.
3) There is no XML.
4) It does not make any sense to have the GA's ISO outside of VirtualBox. You're going to run into problems. Why do you have to copy the ISO to your folder?
oscaroxy

Post by oscaroxy »

1) ok, I won't do.
2) ok, the update of GAs come with Vbox upgrade, so after I upgrade VBox, VBox show me a dialog where I click button and the process is automatic and GAs are update automatically
3) ok
4) GA's ISO outside of VirtualBox is been a test in order to use older version, now I would put the GA's ISO inside VirtualBox (see 3° attach of the first post) but by the dialog I can't

thanks for your patience
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Re-install VirtualBox and the correct version of the GAs will be included.

I understand that you may want to experiment and try different GA versions. What *I* would do is:
1) Leave VirtualBox alone. Do not manually try to change it.
2) Download the VBoxGuestAdditions_X.Y.Z.iso from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/ and have it somewhere on your HD. All the versions are available there.
3) Whenever you want to try a different version, load that ISO in the VM as any other ISO.
oscaroxy

Post by oscaroxy »

Why re-intall VBox?

the setting is into Virtual Machine, also if I re-intall VBox when import the VM the settings wil be self of before... so GAs'll link to my folder ....
please look attach 1, the VM have path wrong (my folder) with label "posizione", I would to have like attach 2.

thanks
Attachments
attach 2
attach 2
Schermata-2016-09-15-alle-09.43.07.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 4685 times
attach 1
attach 1
Schermata-2016-09-15-alle-09.43.28.jpg (43.52 KiB) Viewed 4685 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1) Remove the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso from both your VMs.
2) Re-install VirtualBox to make sure that everything is OK.
3) You should NOT have the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso mounted at all times. It is going to run into problems.
4) If you want a custom VBoxGuestAdditions.iso, load it, install it, unload it.
oscaroxy

Post by oscaroxy »

I follow your advice, but not all ...

I removed the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso from my VM, I stopped VM and I mounted an empty disc... when I started VM then anything is been right (see attach1) but I don't see into CentOS 7 (guest OS ) the dev/scd0 or /media/cdrom or other volume mounted ... Why?
from that mounted I would to do "sh /media/cdrom/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run"

thanks
Attachments
Schermata-2016-09-15-alle-15.16.50.jpg
Schermata-2016-09-15-alle-15.16.50.jpg (66.86 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

This is the last time I am going to repeat these steps. Reply what you did to each step.
1) Remove all CDs from all your VMs.
2) Shut down all your VMs. Not saved. Shut down completely.
3) Install the latest VirtualBox.
4) Start the VMs. If one of them has a problem, let's talk about that VM.
5) VERY IMPORTANT. SCALE YOUR IMAGES TO 50% OR LESS. I can't see them!!!
oscaroxy

Post by oscaroxy »

... I reupload image ...
Attachments
Schermata-2016-09-15-alle-15.16.50.jpg
Schermata-2016-09-15-alle-15.16.50.jpg (68.04 KiB) Viewed 4678 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Much better. Mille grazie

Now, do the steps in my last step and please report what you did in each and every step.