Hiding host system cursor

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Hiding host system cursor

Post by granada29 »

I have 2 OSX VMs running under VirtualBox Version 5.1.2 r108956 on an El Capitan host system.
All OS's are at their 'latest' release levels.

Sierra VM: The hardware(host) cursor is always visible and closely aligned with the guest cursor. This is OK but a little distracting.

Mavericks VM: The hardware cursor is always visible and only aligned with the guest cursor at the centre of the guest window. As it is moved away from the centre, the cursors diverge by an amount proportional to the displacement from the centre. This is very distracting because the cursors look identical - resulting in many wrongly placed clicks.

Both these VMs would be OK if the hardware cursor were to be hidden on entry to the guest window. I know there are no guest extensions to take care of this, but I would have thought show/hide the hardware cursor would be handled directly by VirtualBox.

I have not run these VMs under earlier versions of VirtualBox so am not sure if this a regression from previous behaviour. Is there some setting I need to make to cause the host cursor to be hidden?

Regards
Bryan
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Hiding host system cursor

Post by socratis »

Hey granada29, welcome to the party!

This is a regression. It used to work great, until 5.1.x was introduced. There's a ticket open, Ticket #15610 : Host cursor visible in guest, produces double cursors. Add your voice there. Check also the discussion mentioned in the ticket...

PS. Don't you love the part where one cursor is over the "OK" button and the other over the "Cancel" button and you have to guess which one is which? It makes VirtualBox SO much more exciting, like a game! Russian-roulette exciting... :shock:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

Just an update on this problem. It is still occurring with a macOS Sierra host system using VirtualBox 5.1.6

Yesterday I booted my Mac Mini in Linux Debian (testing) , installed VirtualBox (5.1.6) and ran the exact same virtual machine. I copied the whole lot from the macOS disk partition.

Cursor tracking is fine - there is no double cursor.
This indicates that the problem arises from the macOS host implementation of VirtualBox cursor tracking and is not a 'generic' VirtualBox bug.

A couple of other things about running the macOS guest on Debian.
1. The command-key combinations now work. Yay. On macOS hosts they are trapped by macOS and not passed on to the guest.
2. IPv6 is NOT working although it is active in the Linux host system. I need to investigate this a little further.

Regards
Bryan
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

granada29 wrote:Just an update on this problem. It is still occurring with a macOS Sierra host system using VirtualBox 5.1.6
Just to save you some time, so does in 5.1.8. You'd have seen it in the release notes.
granada29 wrote:Cursor tracking is fine - there is no double cursor.
Not sure what to make out of this. In the beginning you say that there is still a problem with 5.1.6, next thing there is no double cursor. ???
granada29 wrote:This indicates that the problem arises from the macOS host implementation of VirtualBox cursor tracking and is not a 'generic' VirtualBox bug.
I'm afraid the question is the same about this statement as well. ??? What do you mean? What's the host implementation and what's the generic bug?
granada29 wrote:A couple of other things about running the macOS guest on Debian.
Please don't deviate from the thread's title.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

I have tested a macOS Sierra GUEST with 2 different HOST operating systems, one is Debian Linux, the other is macOS Sierra.

With a macOS Sierra HOST I see 2 cursors in the guest - closely aligned but nevertheless ambiguous.

With a Debian Linux HOST, the guest only displays a single cursor.

The double cursor does NOT appear when the HOST operating system is Linux and it would appear that the issue is specific to running VirtualBox on a macOS HOST. i.e. the bug is OS dependent and is not coming from common code shared by the 2 different platforms.

Hope that makes it clearer
Regards
Bryan
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

99% of the OSX guests run on OSX hosts, because OSX guests require a Mac and 99% of the Mac owners run OSX. Your Debian runs on a Mac?
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

Yes - As I said before, I'm running Debian Linux (testing) on a Mac Mini. It is real Apple hardware and needs no funny tricks to pretend to be.