Possible to repair corrupt VMDK

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
neilgee

Possible to repair corrupt VMDK

Post by neilgee »

Had an outage and now my vagrant virtual box vm won't boot, get an error about -

Code: Select all

VBoxManage: error: VMDK: inconsistency between grain table and backup grain table
Full error...

Code: Select all

Command: ["startvm", "43aab8a1-fcab-45c4-aff2-75f1b0357c24", "--type", "headless"]

Stderr: VBoxManage: error: Could not open the medium '/Users/neilg/VirtualBox VMs/vvv/box-disk1.vmdk'.
VBoxManage: error: VMDK: inconsistency between grain table and backup grain table in '/Users/neilg/VirtualBox VMs/vvv/box-disk1.vmdk' (VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER).
VBoxManage: error: VD: error VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER opening image file '/Users/neilg/VirtualBox VMs/vvv/box-disk1.vmdk' (VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MediumWrap, interface IMedium
Running OSX 10.11.6 & VB 5.0.20

Anyone know outside of a restore any ways to repair the VMDK
Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Possible to repair corrupt VMDK

Post by socratis »

Search for "VMDK: inconsistency between grain table and backup grain table". There seem to be several solutions that have worked. I don't want to point you to a specific one, because I haven't tried any.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.