Black screen - trying to install Mavericks - El Cap Host

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
loopy

Black screen - trying to install Mavericks - El Cap Host

Post by loopy »

I am trying to set up a VM running Mavericks ( needed to test some software)
I have Virtual Box 5.0.22 , running on El Cap 10.11.5, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
I created a VM using "OS X Mavericks 64-bit" - accepting all defaults.
I followed the procedure for creating a bootable .dmg from the "Install Mavericks.app"
When I run the VM , I get is a black screen that resizes a couple of times, nothing more. It never proceeds past this point. It actually doesn't matter if I attach the .DMG to the "optical drive" or leave it empty.

PS Other VM's ( e.g. Ubuntu) run fine.

Log file attached
Attachments
Mavericks-2016-06-28-22-29-17.log.zip
Log file
(228.08 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Black screen - trying to install Mavericks - El Cap Host

Post by mpack »

I see a lot of errors in the log, related to RAM. It's like VirtualBox doesn't believe the RAM is real/physical.

I see that VirtualBox 5.0.24 came out today, with fixes for IO APIC bugs. I guess it would do no harm to try it.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

loopy wrote:I followed the procedure for creating a bootable .dmg from the "Install Mavericks.app"
00:00:01.063276 File system of '/Users/andrewc/Downloads/mavericks.iso' (DVD) is hfs
What is the procedure that you followed?
00:00:01.098113   RamSize                 <integer> = 0x0000000200000000 (8 589 934 592, 8 GB)
Decrease that to 2 GB. For now.
00:00:01.098267   VRamSize         <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
Increase that to at least 32 MB.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loopy

Post by loopy »

I followed the procedure
sudo iesd -i /Users/andrewc/Downloads/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app -o Mavericks.dmg -t BaseSystem

Then set Mavericks.dmg as the startup.
I had also tried creating a Mavericks.iso

Anyway, I solved the problem by the roundabout way of creating a virtual machine on a MacBook Pro - no problems there - then copying the VM to the iMac
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You must have either changed the way that you installed the VM, or the recipe of the VM itself. Otherwise it does not compute. Glad you got it working finally.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.