Unable to boot El Capitan

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
USTD

Unable to boot El Capitan

Post by USTD »

Hi All:

I can not seem to get Virtualbox 5.0 to work to setup a Mac OSX El Capitan (final version).
I have followed all of the web guides, but I can not get it to boot. It always goes to the UEFI shell prompt.
It does not manage to detect the bootable ISO file that is there mounted as an optical drive or the bootable DMG file either (i tried both options). Neither work.

Is there a UEFI command to force it to boot from the optical disc (which is an ISO or DMG file) ?

Any ideas on how to debug this ?

Thanks
:)
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Unable to boot El Capitan

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: Unable to boot El Capitan

Post by ChipMcK »

USTD wrote:I can not seem to get Virtualbox 5.0 to work to setup a Mac OSX El Capitan (final version).
I have followed all of the web guides, but I can not get it to boot.
To create an El Capitan bootable install .ISO, refer to El Capitan installation stops at 2.0 shell immediately
The post by socratis dated 6. Apr 2016, 02:00 contains a Bash Script that will create, from the Apple install application, an .ISO fie to be mounted in the VM's virtual CD/DVD drive.

Smooth Sailing !