VB windows 7(guest) using El capitan (host) - bridge wifi

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Ed D

VB windows 7(guest) using El capitan (host) - bridge wifi

Post by Ed D »

I'm running El capitan(10.11.3) on a mbp. I'm running VB 5.0.14 r105127 running two VMs 1.) Ubuntu 12.04 2.) Windows 7. I've always used bridged networking for both VMs without an issue and recently I've found I'm unable to use DHCP anymore when my MBP is running off wifi. If I plug in an ethernet cable the problem goes away. I also found if I assign a static networking works ok, so the problem is specific to DHCP requests when my MBP is connected via wifi. Finally I can run wireshark on my Windows PC and DHCP requests going out but no response. I'm not very familiar with what else to look at in wireshark to know if there are any clues... Also, these VMs are very very old and nothing has changed in them. I suspect it was a virtual box update or a mac update that broke bridged networking, but unfortunately I don't know exactly when this broke...

I did a search on the forums for this issue as I would expect others would have seen this, but only found a thread where the person was running Maverick. I followed all suggestions, but it didn't work to correct my problem(turn off VM, disable all network interfaces, turn on VM, turn off VM, enable network interface bridged via wifi, turn on vm and it should work). There was also a suggestion about sharing my internet connection but it didn't make sense based on the options I was presented so could test this suggestion. I can use NAT but it is non-ideal, I'm hoping someone can provide a suggestion on how to get bridged working via wifi again.

TIA,
Eddie
joemysterio

Re: VB windows 7(guest) using El capitan (host) - bridge wif

Post by joemysterio »

Hi,

I struggled for a while getting Bridged Adapter to work with our MBP's wifi but I finally got it working. In our case, wireshark shows the DHCP discover and offer goes though but is declined in the end. I noticed that the host adapter and the virtualbox adapter are seeking an IP so it ends up being a conflict over duplicate IP. After some research, I found that Windows seems to do a check for duplicate IPs and that is what causes the DHCP request to get declined. I turned off that duplicate IP check and now it grabs an IP and stays solid through reboots and shutdowns of the guest and host.

To turn off duplicate check in Windows:
Open command prompt and type: netsh interface ipv4 show interface
Look for idx number next to wireless connection.
Type netsh interface ipv4 set interface X dadtransmits=0 store=persistent (replace X with the idx number)

I realize that may not help in your case because the DHCP discover is not even getting a response but maybe something there could help you anyway or help others that are having this issue with bridged wifi on MBPs.

Joe