Mac OX X Guest crash in Disk Utility

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
AJStevens
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OS X, Windows 7

Mac OX X Guest crash in Disk Utility

Post by AJStevens »

Hi, I loaded up my Mac OS X guest (Yosemite) on my Mac Mini (also Yosemite) after a while of not using it, and found it was stuck in a login loop, I couldn't get out of it and I understand it's not possible to get into Safe Mode, so being it's a VM for testing, I deleted the vdi disk file and created a new one and proceeded to reinstall/setup my Mac VM thinking it would get me working sooner.

It loads the ISO I created from the Yosemite ESD file, and when I open Disk Utility to partition the virtual hard disk, it crashes, either instantly, or after selecting/hovering over the VBOX hard drive or just a few seconds into using the utility, at one point I got as far as selecting the disk, choosing the partition tab and then it crashed, other times it can be as its loading the Disk Utility.

This error message is left on the vm console screen:
Service exited due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4

I've updated to the latest Virtualbox as well, 5.0.14 r105127 but that hasn't helped, I'm not sure what to do, hopefully someone can help.

Log attached.
VBox.zip
(22.52 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mac OX X Guest crash in Disk Utility

Post by socratis »

Yosemite is one of the worst OSX clients. It's crash prone and you have to get it just right if you get it at all. Generally speaking, I've had no luck with more than one CPUs assigned to the VM. In your case, it's even worse; you assigned all of your available CPUs to the guest (2). Try reducing them to one CPU and see if it helps.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AJStevens
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OS X, Windows 7

Post by AJStevens »

Thank you socratis!
Setting to 1 CPU I can partition in Disk Utility now.

I think I put it up to two processors because originally the VM was unusably slow.

What other settings would you recommend for RAM and Video Memory?
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

AJStevens wrote:I think I put it up to two processors because originally the VM was unusably slow.
Yosemite IS unusually slow, if you're talking about the GUI (of course you are). Apple invested on the 3D graphics candy and since there's no Guest Additions for OSX to enable better graphics, well, it crawls. It's great if you're compiling though. Oh, and I already mentioned it I believe, but in my case it has never worked with 2 CPUs.

4GB is more than enough for basic operation. So is 128 MB of VRAM (can't go any higher). The fact remains that it will be slow, because all the 3D rendering has to happen in software and since Apple decided to do 3D animations even in the Open/Save dialog, well, expect delays. Nothing you can do about it I'm afraid.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.