Guest 10.6 Server on newer OS X host?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
SpockTod

Guest 10.6 Server on newer OS X host?

Post by SpockTod »

I've been looking at this so long it's possible I'm missing the obvious, but I really need help please. This is all new to me. I'm trying to install 10.6 Snow Leopard Server (for which I bought the original install discs from Apple for this project) on my 2014 MacBook Pro Retina currently running 10.10.1 Yosemite. I need to do this because I have older applications (Adobe CS3 among others) that barely run in Yosemite and probably won't run at all if I upgrade much further. I'd like to "have my cake and eat it too" by preserving the functionality of these older programs (which are critical to my workflow) while being able to freely upgrade my host OS to keep up with new features and security.

So far:
1. I successfully downloaded and installed VirtualBox today (Dec. 2015) from virtualbox.org.
2. I created the virtual machine and it brought up the first-run wizard to ask me where the OS was located.
3. I've tried installing from the external CD/DVD drive but the app on the disc is grayed out; apparently external drives are no good for this.
4. I used Disk Utility to create a .cdr master copy of the install disc. I used Terminal to create a .iso version as well.
5. I have tried every combination of telling it the OS is Snow Leopard Server 32-bit or 64-bit, OS X generic 32-bit or 64-bit, from the cdr or the iso or the install disc, nothing helps. I get the same error every time when it's trying to install the OS the first time:

Black code screen with pages and pages of stuff that appears very rapidly. I honestly don't understand most of it but near the end it always says "Mac OS version: not yet set." Here's the screenshot:

I don't know how to get around this. Is there a problem in my original settings? Or is something wrong with the .cdr file? (The .iso gave the error message, "Failed to open the disk image file" so I had to use the .cdr.) I've tried to troubleshoot with every combination of settings I can think of, but apparently it's not enough. What do I do next? THANK YOU very much for your help!!!!!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest 10.6 Server on newer OS X host?

Post by socratis »

Take a look at Status of OSX on OSX, especially the posts by rpmurray on modifying the "recipe" of the VM to make it look like the VM is using a different CPU than the one you're actually using on your physical computer. The degree of success varies. Don't think that it's going to work out of the box, but if it does boot and install, please leave a note in the above mentioned thread to let others know. Just please don't try to add other problems there besides installs/doesn't install.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.