How install EI Capitan on VirtualBox?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
greatfox

How install EI Capitan on VirtualBox?

Post by greatfox »

I have made captan.iso, use ICH9 with I/O APIC or PIIX3 without I/O APIC.
but EFI load always stay in Interactive Shell.
I have try adjusted VRAM from 10 to 128MB, enable or disable 3D acceralate.
Where is wrong?

My host is EI Capitan (install from App Store) on RMBP 2013 later.
VirtualBox is 5.0.6 ( I have try 5.0.4 and 4.3.30 )

Who can give me some advice?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How install EI Capitan on VirtualBox?

Post by socratis »

greatfox wrote:I have made captan.iso
How did you do that exactly? The reason I'm asking, is because I tried to do the same some time back and I got stuck at the same place as you. I have been following the instructions that I found on the net at some point and I posted in this thread, but it doesn't work. I haven't dealt with it lately, but if I do, I'll post here...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How install EI Capitan on VirtualBox?

Post by socratis »

Update: I found this article explaining why there might be issues with this.
Apple finally upgraded the MBR based BaseSystem.dmg in favor of GPT, which is not yet fully supported by VirtualBox EFI. However, it is possible to upgrade from existing Yosemite installation.
So, if you have an existing installation (from Snow Leopard onward), clone it, change the settings of the clone to match an El Capitan installation and try to update it in place.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.