Migrate OS X 10.6 from VMware to VirtualBox success

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Kawayuppie

Migrate OS X 10.6 from VMware to VirtualBox success

Post by Kawayuppie »

Hi,

This is an information post incase anyone is interested. I did search the forum and didn't find anything similar.

I needed to migrate a Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server VM instance to VirtualBox 5.0 on my Mac OS X Yosemite system from VMware Fusion as Fusion had stopped working and I was in no mood trying to fix or upgrade fusion anyway. There is a legacy network application that only runs on Snow Leopard that I require to run from tim to time. Besides I am an old user of VirtualBox.

I used VMware ovftool to create a ova of the VMware VM. Before doing that, I had to make sure the there was only one SCSI controller defined in the VM vmx file, had to manually edit the file. VirtualBox does not seem to be able to import more then one SCSI controller. When importing, choose advanced and deselect DVD. Might not be required to do that but I have had problems with it before.

Once the ova is imported into Virtualbox, and before starting it, there where I few things I needed to corrected;
  • increase RAM to the desired amount (2GB in my case)
  • Increase video RAM to 128MB
  • Enable EFI
  • Set Chip Set to ICH9
  • Set Pointing Device to USB Tablet
  • Set Audio to Intel HD Audio
  • Go to Storage and remove everything then enable SATA and re-connect existing migrated hard drive to port 0 and the CDROM to port1
  • Set Ethernet device to Intel PRO/1000 MT Server
And that should be it.

Boot and it should work.

BTW, I didn't remove the VMware Tools, mainly because my VMware Fusion is busted.

-- kawayuppie