Lost Swipe between Machines in Latest Update

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
todd.pratt

Lost Swipe between Machines in Latest Update

Post by todd.pratt »

I just updated to 4.3.16 r95972. Immediately after the update I've lost the ability to swipe between VBox Machines in the Max OS. Previously I could swipe seamlessly (left or right). Now I have to swipe up to see the available screens and click the VBox I want (or return to the VBox Manager and click 'Show'). When I try to swipe left/right into a VBox, the screen is grey and returns me back to the previous Mac screen. Its extremely annoying. Anyone else have this issue? I plan to revert to the previous version until this is resolved.

Todd
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Lost Swipe between Machines in Latest Update

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment )
todd.pratt

Post by todd.pratt »

Quick Update. Reverting back to 4.3.12 resolved this issue.
Tom Webb

Post by Tom Webb »

Hi Todd. Am seeing similar issue after updating to latest release 4.3.16 r95972 under OSX 10.9.4. Virtual WIndows 7 PC runs fine. However, when I switch between between VirtualBox guest and OSX screens using swipe and swipe back to Virtual guest screen, it's grey. I did notice that if I move mouse to top of screen to activate the VirtualBox menus, then the Virtual guest desktop reappears. Annoying, but did notice that client is running faster with this update, so will live with it. Looking forward to either VirtualBox update or someone else's advice on fixing this.

Edit: I am running multiply monitors under OSX. Virtual guest is only set for one screen. Just noticed that if I open an app on 'other' monitor (which is under control of OSX and click on app, the VirtualBox screen goes grey at that point. maybe someone can shed some light on this?
Tom Webb

Post by Tom Webb »

Update. Managed to figure out what the issue is and here is a fix for others, who might find themselves in a similar situation after the latest update.

I noticed that on 2nd monitor, if I click on the app toolbar at top of app, it didn't cause VirtualBox guest to show a grey screen. But when I clicked within an app on 2nd monitor, VirtualBox guest on 1st monitor changed to grey screen. So initial thought was that VirtualBox guest has something that is causing it to lose the focus of the guest screen. Sure enough, I noticed that the mini-toolbar within VirtualBox guest and the main toolbar both briefly flashed when I clicked on the app in the 2nd monitor (which is under control of OSX).

Therefore I shut down the guest and went into VirtualBox Guest's Settings>>General tab>>Advanced and unchecked the Minitool-bar options in the Guest. After starting up the Guest again, I'm in full-screen mode and happily swiping between Windows 7 guest and OSX screens :)
eliuhy

Post by eliuhy »

Tom Webb wrote:Update. Managed to figure out what the issue is and here is a fix for others, who might find themselves in a similar situation after the latest update.

I noticed that on 2nd monitor, if I click on the app toolbar at top of app, it didn't cause VirtualBox guest to show a grey screen. But when I clicked within an app on 2nd monitor, VirtualBox guest on 1st monitor changed to grey screen. So initial thought was that VirtualBox guest has something that is causing it to lose the focus of the guest screen. Sure enough, I noticed that the mini-toolbar within VirtualBox guest and the main toolbar both briefly flashed when I clicked on the app in the 2nd monitor (which is under control of OSX).

Therefore I shut down the guest and went into VirtualBox Guest's Settings>>General tab>>Advanced and unchecked the Minitool-bar options in the Guest. After starting up the Guest again, I'm in full-screen mode and happily swiping between Windows 7 guest and OSX screens :)
Hi dude, you really solved my problem! Thanks!
IgorParmezani

Post by IgorParmezani »

This action solved my problem too.

Therefore I shut down the guest and went into VirtualBox Guest's Settings>>General tab>>Advanced and unchecked the Minitool-bar options in the Guest.
vboxuser93

Post by vboxuser93 »

This solved my problem too. I also noticed that if you move the mouse to the top of the grey screen the VM will appear (with mini toolbar option on)

Thanks!
TranceMist

Post by TranceMist »

This workaround indeed works for me as well, but it's not a solution, just a workaround.

Odd that I never had this problem before until 4.3.16 which instead of supposedly resolving this issue just introduced it for me.

Thanks for the pointer.
todd.pratt

Post by todd.pratt »

Thanks for the replies. I run multiple VMs and it's handy to see which one is which when I swipe up to see all of the active windows. Tapping the bar (at the bottom for me) seems to bring the VM into focus, but doesn't help me know which VM is which until I 'turn on' the screen. Still an issue IMHO, but thanks for the updates. I haven't noticed a significant increase in speed in the new version, so I'll stick with .12 until a hot fix is applied.

Todd
iAREsean

Post by iAREsean »

You are such a gem for posting this fix. My workflow was completely ruined!

<3