Updating Mac OS within VBox

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Max W.

Updating Mac OS within VBox

Post by Max W. »

Hi,
I installed Mac OS Snow Leopard in the VBox using the DVD-Editon. After using Multibeast I am able of booting the Mac OS directly. I went to the Mac App Store for updating the OS. Mavericks was loaded and the installer seemed to run properly. (But it took only 1 Minute to install...) When I tried to download the free App XCode, the store was telling me that I was running Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and a newer version is needed. When I run "Software Update", the store tells me, that there are no updates available.
When I go the "App Store->Purchases" Mavericks has the status "loaded".
As I had a license for 10.8 (Mountain Lion) too, I loaded the update from the store. Installer runs well, but downloading Xcode still give the version error mentioned above.
I checked the file SystemVersion.plist (/System/Library/CoreServices) and indeed the attribute Product_Version was still 10.6.8. I changed that to 10.9 and I was able to download Xcode (but running failed with the known error message)
As "About this Mac" in the Menu is not working properly I have no clue, if the update to 10.9 was sucessful as the store is telling that there are no updates available...

How can I find out, which version I am really running? Terminal sw_vers is returning the values from that plist file, which I have manipulated now...

Have updates of Mac OS within Virtualbox to be performed differntly?

Any help is appreciated!
Regards,
Max
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Updating Mac OS within VBox

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment )
Max W.

Post by Max W. »

Hi,
as I am new to Mac OS, could you tell me where to find the log?
Thanks!
Max
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Right click the VM in the VirtualBox GUI, select "Show Log". Save the most recent one (i.e. "VBox.log" - no number) to a host file, zip it there, and attach the zip here.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Max W. wrote:After using Multibeast
Are you running VirtualBox on an Apple host?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Max W.

Post by Max W. »

mpack wrote:Right click the VM in the VirtualBox GUI, select "Show Log". Save the most recent one (i.e. "VBox.log" - no number) to a host file, zip it there, and attach the zip here.
Here it is. My host is running on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 64bit)
Attachments
Mac OS-2014-07-11-19-25-51.log
(105.78 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Well there's your problem. Mac OS is only supported on Apple hardware.