Pre built virtualbox machines

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
zack

Pre built virtualbox machines

Post by zack »

I've been a virtualbox user for qute some time. I am looking for a way to obtain pre configured virtual machines
to import into virtualbox. I want to experiment with the various operating systems
before I decide on which one I want to use to dual boot my windows PC with. I hope that I am not violating any
community rules by posting this request. I would appreciate any assistance you may be able to give me. Thank you.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Pre built virtualbox machines

Post by mpack »

That's a bit vague for something posted in "OS X Guests". If you meant to indicate that you are intending to use an OS X VM on a Windows host then please read Important notice regarding Mac OS X as Guest. Any discussion of that will not be allowed here. Let me know if you posted in the wrong forum.
csharporbflat

Post by csharporbflat »

They exist. However they are not legal. You cannot run a MAC OSX as a guest, you cannot even run it as a guest on a MAC, let alone windows. When I say you cannot, I mean you cannot leagally. I can not and will not advise you to break the law. But that being said they do run.

Now if you want to run windows on your MAC, you can use the free built in Boot Camp, or I would recommend trying Parallels.

If you do use Vbox, just keep in mind that there is no MAC Guest Additions, so you wont get the full use out of the OS that you would if you just ran Windows using BootCamp
gstb

Post by gstb »

While you are correct that distributing images of licensed OS's like OS X is a copyright issue, the EULA for OS X was revised in Lion to allow personal use of virtualized OS X on Mac hardware.