OS X 10.9 guest on Mac Mini - "No bootable medium found"

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
dleeeee

OS X 10.9 guest on Mac Mini - "No bootable medium found"

Post by dleeeee »

Before another one those go read this 3 years old post about SL SLA...

I'll go read Mavericks SLA - images.apple.co m/legal/sla/docs/OSX109.pdf

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during software development; (c) using OS X Server; or (d) personal, non-commercial use.

Back to the subject
I'm getting "Fatal: No bootable medium found! System halted" I have tried mounting the InstallESD.dmg as CD-ROM and even tried taking my VMWare Fusion .vmx file as the HD and still got this error message. I'm using Type: Mac OS X, Version: Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks (64 bit). Is there some other configuration that I'm missing?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OS X 10.9 guest on Mac Mini - "No bootable medium found"

Post by socratis »

dleeeee wrote:Is there some other configuration that I'm missing?
Yes! Attitude...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: OS X 10.9 guest on Mac Mini - "No bootable medium found"

Post by mpack »

AFAIK, almost all references to the Apple SLA are to those trying to run OS X on Windows or Linux hosts. Fewer still of those will have been trying Mavericks, so that SLA would not apply anyway.

"No bootable medium found" means what it says: none of the disks currently mounted in the VM are bootable. Stop thinking it's a bug, proceed from there.

If you believe a CD is bootable then the test is easy: try booting a real PC from it. If a real PC can't boot - well there you are. If a real PC can boot then the disk wasn't mounted in the VM.