Attn: Moderators. Please delete OSx86 threads.

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Attn: Moderators. Please delete OSx86 threads.

Post by socratis »

Hi there,

I'm trying to find a solution on how to install OSX Server 10.6.8 on my OSX 10.6.8 MBPro. I started reading ALL the threads on the "Mac OS X Server guests" board, one by one. So far EVERYTHING I've read (and it's a LOT) is about people complaining about their AMD (mostly) systems running Linux/WinZZ hosts trying to install a Hacintosh version.

This makes it extremely difficult to find any relevant information. Since the above combinations are not only not supported, but borderline illegal, wouldn't it be a good idea to simple delete all those posts? It would definitely increase the signal to noise ratio for legitimate uses.

Thanks for your attention,

Socratis
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Attn: Moderators. Please delete OSx86 threads.

Post by mpack »

Well, I don't know about the other mods, but I'm not going to spend time hunting for whatever discussions you might be referring to. If you want to highlight specific threads (or messages) then use the "Report this post" icon beside the problem message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:Well, I don't know about the other mods, but I'm not going to spend time hunting for whatever discussions you might be referring to. If you want to highlight specific threads (or messages) then use the "Report this post" icon beside the problem message.
Would this be OK with you guys? Or am I going to be "spamming" you? Is it preferred perhaps to create a list of such posts and send a private message to one or more of the moderators? For example, the following posts are all candidates for deletion:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=34652
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35349
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35574
etc.

Most of them are easy to spot, since there's usually a single reply by "Perryg" locking the thread with a:
"Please read viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31104"
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Actually it is not our policy to delete topics for anything except spam (which does not happen much at all since we started limiting URL for new users). I rather spend time helping others than culling through previous posts. Starting this would be a major head ache since I am sure someone will request a deletion for their own reasons.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

To clarify: if the thread is promoting warez then I want to know about it. If we already know about it and locked the thread then I don't need to be told again. If you simply think the thread is mistaken, outdated etc then I don't want to know.

p.s. If you are going to accuse someone of using warez then you need to be very sure of it. Suspicions are not enough.

As Perry said, our typical reaction to a discussion of illegal things is to lock the thread, not delete it. Actual warez links get deleted and the poster banned. I'm pretty sure we don't miss many of those.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Oh, no, no, no... I didn't mean anything like warez or anything like that. The "illegality" that I was referring to is that of the Apple's SLA terms.

My "frustration" was caused by the fact that you have a gazillion of people that don't seem to understand that a hacintosh is NOT supported. In a support forum of a product that CLEARLY states that it doesn't support hacintoshes (damn it it IS after all the 1st thread), if you try to search and/or read about specific support issues there is a ton of messages that you have to shift through. I was simply suggesting to remove the messages to improve the support side of the forums.

Please consider the case closed. Thanks again,

Socratis