OS X Lion

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Mah Boi22
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mac OS X

Re: OS X Lion

Post by Mah Boi22 »

ed_co wrote:Are you serious?
Even the Snow Leopard itself is not supported yet. They don't support multicore, threading, power management, hardware acceleration... needs all to be done... and they don't want/care.
The development is totally stopped since long time (3.2.x). If they don't want to support SL, forget Lion.
You don't know what you're talking, because SL worked WELL on my MacBook Pro as a VM!!!
djtomr941
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows, OEL

Post by djtomr941 »

That post is old!

It's now allowed. See below, this is for OSX, not just OSX Server.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx107.pdf

Top of the 2nd page or section B. iii.

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within
virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already
running the Apple Software

OSX Server is here.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/ ... ver107.pdf

I can get my dmg to boot into Vbox (converted to an ISO first) but the EFI loader does not recognize the hardware code as a valid one (i.e. does not recognize it as Apple hardware). Would be nice if Vbox picked up the Apple hardware code and passed it through to the VM.
ZackehSoul
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Solaris 10

Post by ZackehSoul »

Seeing as all you guys are getting is the same problem (pretty much), just thought I'd share my experience:

I currently have a Lion installation on a .vdi (due to a lot of work and messing about) and it boots due to a modified bootloader I've created since EFI obviously doesn't support it. However, it hangs on boot due to what I again assume is the whole board ID check, with the message:

Sep 26 21:31:52 Lions-Mac netbiosd[104]: Unable to start NetBIOS name service

Now I assume that that's related to the board ID check, but since I'm not 100% if anybody has any other possible explanations about that please let me know... It's possible that I may be able to get it working if it isn't related (which it may not be, since the first time around I was stuck at a different place).
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within
virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already
You seem to be overlooking the part of the message that really matters to VirtualBox. You must be running the Mac guest (in VirtualBox) on a Mac pc. Anything else is not allowed according to the Mac SLA.
djtomr941
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows, OEL

Post by djtomr941 »

Perryg wrote:
You seem to be overlooking the part of the message that really matters to VirtualBox. You must be running the Mac guest (in VirtualBox) on a Mac pc. Anything else is not allowed according to the Mac SLA.
And I have Mac hardware with OSX and I want to run an OSX guest. So no, not overlooking anything.
eyeofhell

Post by eyeofhell »

I have just checked VMWare Fusion - it boots from OSX Lion DVD and installs it perfectly fine. Please, fix this, it's just as easy as adding hardware ID into EFI or just forward hardware ID requests to actual MAC hardware and ignore them on non-Mac hosts.
Sharpie
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: linux mint, win 7, OS X

Post by Sharpie »

eyeofhell wrote:I have just checked VMWare Fusion - it boots from OSX Lion DVD and installs it perfectly fine. Please, fix this, it's just as easy as adding hardware ID into EFI or just forward hardware ID requests to actual MAC hardware and ignore them on non-Mac hosts.
Allowing Lion VMs to boot may be as simple as passing the ID values---you can find a patch that does exactly that here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9388

However, getting Lion through the install process inside a VM is far from "easy". Apple pulls a lot of tricks to enable a diskless install.