Installing from DMG Still Not Working in Virtual Box 4.0

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
mike-h30
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OSX, SLES, OpenSUSE, XP,

Installing from DMG Still Not Working in Virtual Box 4.0

Post by mike-h30 »

I just tried creating a SL Server guest from a newly created DMG of my installation DVD in Virtual Box 4.0 and still have no luck. I am able to create the guest from the same DVD mounted to the optical drive but no luck with the DMG file. The Virtual Box 4.0 change log states support for installing SL Server guests from a DMG file.

My method for creating the DMG file was to insert the DVD into my superdrive and then in Disk Utility highlight the installation DVD and then click the "New Image" button in the top menu. Is anyone else able to create a Snow Leopard Server guest from a DMG file in Virtual Box 4.0?
afaern
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OSX Server 10.6.6

Re: Installing from DMG Still Not Working in Virtual Box 4.0

Post by afaern »

I was able to do the install from a DMG file about 6 hours ago. The boot from the image took a very long time. First time around I ended up with an unusable system, the initial dialogs for creating an account and determining services failed to run, but the second install fared better.

I'm hoping to use VirtualBox on an XServe shortly to virtualize two to three OSX Server guests. The shutdown issue is the biggest hangup for me at this point.