Sharing Windows Folder from Mac OS X Host.

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
wyattbiker
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Sharing Windows Folder from Mac OS X Host.

Post by wyattbiker »

I don't have any problems sharing my Mac Host shares from Windows Guest. However when I try to connect to my Windows guest OS from Mac Finder using smb://192.168.1.22 I get the following message:

The server “192.168.1.22” is available on your computer. Access the volumes and files locally.

I made a share on the Windows Guest side. So how to I make it visible from the Mac Host side?

I am using Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server.

Thanks
paulscode
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard

Re: Sharing Windows Folder from Mac OS X Host.

Post by paulscode »

What setting are you using for the Network Adapter? I've only done it with NAT, however I have heard it can be done with the Bridged Adapter setting as well. For NAT, you would use the address "smb://10.0.2.2". If using Bridged Adapter instead of NAT, file sharing should work exactly like you were using two separate machines on the same local network and you'd point your guest to your host's LAN IP (this looks like what you are trying to do). The benefit of this method is that it should also work in any direction since the guest will also have it's own unique LAN IP on your network, letting you connect between host, guest, and any other computers on the network. The message you are getting looks as if you are using the guest's LAN IP instead of the host's, but I'm not familiar enough with MAC OS X networking to be all that helpful that's not the problem.