Stuck - Installing windows xp in VB on Macbook

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
raintree
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows xp service pack 2

Stuck - Installing windows xp in VB on Macbook

Post by raintree »

The virtual machine has been created and most of the files from the Windows xp home edition with SP2 opperating system have been loaded. Enough of the files have been loaded so that I can see the Windows XP screen with the set up nearly complete, (there are two steps to be completed, set up and finish)

but a gray box in the middle of the vb screen says that some files in the ASMAS are missing and I should put the Windows XP Home edition sp 2 CD into the drive, and type in the PATH to the needed files. (the specific file it wants is NT5INF.CAT) The problem is the box where I am supposed to type the path already has D:\I386\ entered, and what I believe is happening is that the windows set up is trying to go to a D drive, of which there is none on the Mac. D drive is Windows language, but the physical drive is in the mac.

I tried giving it a path using the mac language for the drive which is VRMHOEM_EN . . . no good, I also tried giving the path to service pack2 files on line and entered the http:// path. . . .clicking okay does nothing.

So, I cannot complete the instalation. Anyone got any ideas?
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Re: Stuck - Installing windows xp in VB on Macbook

Post by vbox4me2 »

Load some liveCD linux ISO and copy the files to some folder inside the VM.
raintree
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows xp service pack 2

Post by raintree »

Thanks for the reply to the post. Your suggestion is beyond what I can do. I was thinking of just creating a new machine in VB and using a different disk. I looked on the windows xp home edition with SP2 and and opened every folder and could not find the file NT5INF.CAT . . . . so possibly if I just use a different os disk it would succeed. What do you think.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

Download ubuntu liveCD ISO, mount it as a CDROM drive inside your VM, boot from ISO, use ubuntu to access the VM harddisk and copy whatever you need into it, done.