Guest MacOS on Windows 7 host (mac hardware)?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
eyeofhell

Guest MacOS on Windows 7 host (mac hardware)?

Post by eyeofhell »

Hello.

I have installed MacOS 10.6 on mac mini, installed latest virtualbox and it sucessfully boots and installs MacOS 10.6 from original dvd.
But after i installed Windows 7 on same mac mini, same virtualbox is not booting same MacOS 10.6 original dvd, showing EFI menu instead. So, i'm curious: it's not possible to use windows 7 as a host or i'm doing something wrong?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Guest MacOS on Windows 7 host (mac hardware)?

Post by Perryg »

Please read http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31104
Also it is my understanding that at this point it requires OSX host to operate.
eyeofhell

Post by eyeofhell »

It reads "Guest feature is only available to users with Apple/Mac hardware". My hardware is a perfectly genuine apple mac mini. I can attach a foto :).
Perryg wrote:Also it is my understanding that at this point it requires OSX host to operate.
That's my main question for now. Is the mac host really required or i'm doing something wrong. Using Windows 7 as host will be perfect, since i use it most of the time on my mac mini's, iMac's and macbooks due to work reasons.
takwing
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: winxp, Leopard, Snow Leopard, , Win7, ubuntu 9.10

Post by takwing »

Guest MacOS on Windows 7 host is definitely OK. There are people doing that already.
eyeofhell

Post by eyeofhell »

takwing wrote:Guest MacOS on Windows 7 host is definitely OK. There are people doing that already.
Glad to hear it. Is it any hint on how to troubleshoot what i'm doing wrong and why i'm getting EFI menu instead of genuine MacOS DVD boot?
tuffguy45

Post by tuffguy45 »

eyeofhell wrote:
takwing wrote:Guest MacOS on Windows 7 host is definitely OK. There are people doing that already.
Glad to hear it. Is it any hint on how to troubleshoot what i'm doing wrong and why i'm getting EFI menu instead of genuine MacOS DVD boot?
Turn off the EFI option inside the settings, also I'm not entirely sure the windows side will boot the disc straight away though I'd be interested to see if it does.
teameurox
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Mac OS X hopefully

Post by teameurox »

I'm also interested to see if this can be done. All i have gotten from people is against EULA or not supported under Windows. It has to be able to be done. Even under OSX you will not get the traditional apple boot disc screen, I get the efi shell/framework and then loads the installation welcome screen. I'm going to try adn install and create the machine under OSX and then migrate it to my Bootcamp partition and see if that will work. I sometimes have to use windows for work and needs access to some OSX programs in the middle of it.
dupek
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, Mac

Post by dupek »

I do not understand. It is OK to install win7 on Mac, but it is not OK to install Mac on win7. Does not both require license?. WE need to lock all the forum where people are talking about installing win7 in Mac.