Snow Leopard on Snow Leopard - 64Bit issues/2GB RAM limit?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
wyrdR
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7,Xubuntu,Mac OS X server

Snow Leopard on Snow Leopard - 64Bit issues/2GB RAM limit?

Post by wyrdR »

I was unable to even boot up the install disk/iso if I selected the OS sub-type: Mac OS X (64 bit).

So, I tried the default -just: Mac OS X.

Snow Leopard seemed to run fine - applications came up as 64bit.

However, with 12 GB of RAM on our Xserve, I thought I'd try to use more than 2GB RAM for the Snow Leopard guest. I can't: It just won't boot.
  1. Please help:
  2. What settings or steps are required to install/bootup as Mac OS X (64 bit) ?
  3. If Mac OS X (64 bit) is not required to use more than 2GB RAM, then any ideas what the problem is?
  4. Have I stumbled across another limitation or a bug of experimental support for OSX Server guests in Virtual Box?
See also: Unable to Boot…, why 2GB is the max size of mem…

Submitted bugs #7027 & #7028
wyrdR

Re: Snow Leopard on Snow Leopard - 64Bit issues/2GB RAM limit?

Post by wyrdR »

Has anyone else at encountered these issues?

I've submitted bug tickets, but any other feedback to the developers would help.

TA
OmegaX
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OS X Snow Leopard

Post by OmegaX »

wyrdR wrote:Has anyone else at encountered these issues?

I've submitted bug tickets, but any other feedback to the developers would help.

TA
I've been able to boot an installed Snow Leopard guest with type as 64-bit, it throws an error during startup right after loading extensions "Unknown4 of GetVar called" which i'm seeing everyone seems to get when guest type is 64-bit but does boot fine for me despite throwing that error.

You could try to install OS X with guest type as 32-bit then switch the guest type to 64-bit and up the ram after install to switch to 64-bit EFI and kernel.
wyrdR

Post by wyrdR »

OmegaX wrote: I've been able to boot an installed Snow Leopard guest with type as 64-bit, it throws an error during startup right after loading extensions "Unknown4 of GetVar called" which i'm seeing everyone seems to get when guest type is 64-bit but does boot fine for me despite throwing that error.

You could try to install OS X with guest type as 32-bit then switch the guest type to 64-bit and up the ram after install to switch to 64-bit EFI and kernel.
Thanks... But tried that. No good.

My bug tickets weren't needed as I'm told these issues have been dealt with in the 3.2.6 beta.
sandervl73 wrote: (in Ticket #7027)
Already fixed afaik. A 3.2.6 beta will be released very shortly.
wyrdR

Post by wyrdR »

In the 3.2.6 Beta, 64 bit works; More than 2GB RAM does not unless Video Memory ? 64MB.

See: Ticket #7002