OSX 10.6 guest on Ubuntu Lucid host

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
jdbower
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows XP/7, OSX 10.6

OSX 10.6 guest on Ubuntu Lucid host

Post by jdbower »

I run Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) native on my MacBook. I'd like to thank the devs for not limiting the OSX guest functionality to OSX hosts only, I was able to install Snow Leopard just fine on a Linux host that happened to be running on Apple hardware. No major issues that I can see so far (at least none that aren't in the release notes).

Of course, now I just have a reminder as to why I switched to Ubuntu, but it's nice to know I can pop into OSX if I need to :)
ace77
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows

Re: OSX 10.6 guest on Ubuntu Lucid host

Post by ace77 »

Hi, did you use default setting for the virtual machine? I'm using Virtualbox 3.2.0 on Ubuntu Lucid host and trying to install Mac Os X 10.6 from original cd but as soon as the snow leopard installer starts I get the spinning wait cursor and the installation process get stuck forever.
jdbower

Post by jdbower »

Yes, I just used the standard settings (both for VirtualBox and OSX) and a 10.6.3 install DVD. I'm running an updated Lucid amd64 install and set the VB OS type to OSX-64. Just as a quick sanity check, are you running on Mac hardware? My understanding is that most of what 3.2.0 does differently is pass through certain calls OSX makes to check to see i the hardware is appropriate, it does not spoof those requests if you're not running Mac hardware (although I haven't experimented to see what the error response is if you try to install it on an open PC architecture).
ace77
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by ace77 »

jdbower wrote:Yes, I just used the standard settings (both for VirtualBox and OSX) and a 10.6.3 install DVD. I'm running an updated Lucid amd64 install and set the VB OS type to OSX-64. Just as a quick sanity check, are you running on Mac hardware? My understanding is that most of what 3.2.0 does differently is pass through certain calls OSX makes to check to see i the hardware is appropriate, it does not spoof those requests if you're not running Mac hardware (although I haven't experimented to see what the error response is if you try to install it on an open PC architecture).
I'm running ubuntu on standard PC not on Mac hardware... maybe this is the problem. I thought the new version of virtualbox allowed it...
Thank you very much
jdbower

Post by jdbower »

Sadly that's probably your issue. I'm sure passing through the hardware identifiers rather than spoofing them are designed to keep Apple's lawyers at bay. It would be nice if Apple opened their licensing a bit to allow OSX to run on other PCs, but I'm not holding my breath. :(
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

True, OSX guests are only supported on Mac hardware. This is clearly stated in the release notes and the user manual (it's even as sticky here!). All encryption keys that OSX uses to run properly are send to the hardware directly by VB. Therefore, you cannot run OSX on non-Mac hardware. VB is build just to work as the license states it is allowed to run.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
untmdsprt
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS X

Post by untmdsprt »

You've given me a reason to seriously switch to Linux. The only things that are holding me back are iTunes, address book and my USB TV tuner. Have you been able to sync an ipod or iphone using this setup? Would my tuner card have any issues?

I had installed Ubuntu 64bit on my Macbook about a month ago, and felt like my computer ran faster. I have a Core 2 Duo processor and feel like Apple has purposely limited my computer. :(

Thanks for this good news!!
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I run nothing else than Linux as Host (even though I don't have a Mac) and have an XP VM specifically made for my iPhone, works like a charm. Your USB TV Tuner might be a bit of a problem, as USB isn't super fast as it might need to be and it's possible you end up with the same issue webcams have. However, you can probably use the tuner on the Host instead.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.