Mac OS X guest

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
dreamcat4
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Mac OS X

Re: Mac OS X guest

Post by dreamcat4 »

Hey,
They've recently put up the Beta1 for the next release (VirtualBox 3.1.4 !).

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 50-OSX.dmg

Change log is in UserManual.pdf, chapter 12, page 175. Its also available from here:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/3.1.4_BETA1/

Obviously this is a BETA so beware - may crash unexpectedly. Beware because if you install the 3.14 Beta1 the installer will overwrite many locations on your disk where VirtualBox lives (not just the app bundle). So downgrading / rolling back is less straightforward.

Actually the Changelog doesn't come out and say anything specific about OS-X support. Sorry to disapoint. However you may find that general things are improved around VMM, VT-X, audio, USB, and ATA. So in turn that *might* help the running for OS-X Guests on OS-X Hosts.
scrouch

Post by scrouch »

Anyone trying to get an OSX guest on apple hardware? I'm trying to get Leopard server installed on Snow Leopard.
vb0x4me
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Many

Post by vb0x4me »

scrouch wrote:Anyone trying to get an OSX guest on apple hardware? I'm trying to get Leopard server installed on Snow Leopard.

Advances made on insanelymac forums
8)
aylons
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by aylons »

Coud you please, link it here?
btietz

Post by btietz »

notbad wrote:heres a small how to for iAtkos 10.5.7:

1. create a new machine: freebsd, ICH6, IO APIC, 2 Cpus, PAE, VT-x, Nested pageing. and close VBox.
2. edit the machines .xml file, enter this line: <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/> save and exit
3. open VBox and add the .iso file and start the machine, it should lead you to the installation.
4. when customizing leave everything by default and install.
5. after installation you may face some problems: if it crashes - in the settings make just one cpu, then you can get an error that you keyboard is not connected - then repeat step 3 and in the customizing section DESELECT everything and enable one of the PS2 drivers and install them if it says that installation failed dont be afraid everything is fine, just restart.

that's it. now it should be working. still I can't get internet and sound, but still trying :D

any news on getting "network" or "sound" to work?
notbad
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Mac OS X

Post by notbad »

the network does not work, because the machine can't get the MAC address from virtualbox. adding the MAC address manually in terminal gets the net working, but for some time for me. i think the problem is with uuid or smthg.

no sound yet bcs havent tryied yet :D
buercky
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: mac

Post by buercky »

anyone have a write up on start to finish on how to install the mac os x in the virtualbox software while running on a windows XP or win7 pc duo core.. Then would like to install some other mac software on it once installed.. or is tehre just not a process out there
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Hooray !!!

Here is it: Official Mac OS X Server guest support coming in VBox 3.2 !!!!
Main, QT4/FE: OS X guest type support :
http://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/26333
nike
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
Guest OSses: OS/2 1.2, Windows 3.11, OSX

Post by nike »

Support in 3.2 will be pretty experimental, but rather unlike to what other virtualizers do, as VBox provides fully functional EFI implementation and boot using standard Apple bootloader boot.efi, not chainloader hacks found in other products.

Stay tuned...
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

"unlike to what other virtualizers do"...
My understanding is that "Parallels Desktop for Mac" and "VMware Fusion" support EFI. Any hard data ?

update:
I have found evidence that "VMware Fusion 3" supports EFI:
http://www.vmware.com/support/fusion3/d ... usion.html
nike
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
Guest OSses: OS/2 1.2, Windows 3.11, OSX

Post by nike »

Simple logic suggests that if something is in "What's new" section of a product, it wasn't present in previous versions.
Fusion version I checked (3.0.0) had a chainloader .iso, (darwin.iso) in it. But this forum isn't designed to discuss other companies products.
notbad
Guest OSses: Mac OS X

Post by notbad »

so, if it runs Mac OS server, then maybe it will run OS X snow leo out of the box?
buffyg
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: OpenSolaris, Ubuntu, OpenBSD

Post by buffyg »

What level of support will be available? Will it include all the basic device types, including sound and networking? Will there be Guest Additions provided? At one point will a beta of 3.2 be available for testing?

I ask because I've got an early 2008 Mac Pro that I'd like to convert from Leopard Server to running OpenSolaris on the bare metal, with Snow Leopard and either Leopard or Snow Leopard Server running as VirtualBox guests. Would sufficient support for this configuration be available that I should test this in 3.2, starting with getting the guests running under the current host OS and the beta of 3.2? Is this outside the scope of what you plan to support?
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

>What level of support will be available?

I do not know to which extend this be supported.
takwing
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: winxp, Leopard, Snow Leopard, , Win7, ubuntu 9.10

Post by takwing »

notbad wrote:heres a small how to for iAtkos 10.5.7:

1. create a new machine: freebsd, ICH6, IO APIC, 2 Cpus, PAE, VT-x, Nested pageing. and close VBox.
2. edit the machines .xml file, enter this line: <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/> save and exit
3. open VBox and add the .iso file and start the machine, it should lead you to the installation.
4. when customizing leave everything by default and install.
5. after installation you may face some problems: if it crashes - in the settings make just one cpu, then you can get an error that you keyboard is not connected - then repeat step 3 and in the customizing section DESELECT everything and enable one of the PS2 drivers and install them if it says that installation failed dont be afraid everything is fine, just restart.

that's it. now it should be working. still I can't get internet and sound, but still trying :D
I am using VirtualBox v3.1.4.
I follow the same to create the machine. However, the installation of iDeneb_v1.5.1 and iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 fails.
come and visit my web site:
https://www.study-together.com/edu/